Nero Drive Source & Drive Destination problem

Giggle n' Bits 12:59 01 Oct 06

ok I have Asus DVD-E616A2 & a Asus CRW-5232A4 when I use nero to copy a CD the Source & Destination drive are the same. The only way to change the source is manually which surely it known the source is a DVD drive but mine shows me x2 CD Wtrs.

I did update the software which didn't make any difference only manually selecting the drive source is the only option and its a pain.

Is this a bug with my DVD or Wtr maybe ? My DVD is Secondary Master and CD Wtr is Secondary Slave with HDD being a single SATA on SATA1 channel primary no partitions or Raid.

Giggle n' Bits 00:50 02 Oct 06

put the update on and its still doing it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:51 02 Oct 06

Put the writer as mater and rom as slave and retry.

Giggle n' Bits 13:26 18 Oct 06

Will try this but when copy of a CD, if actual Cd is in the secondary slave drive being the DVD and CD Wtr is Master secondary would you be able to copy a CD from slave to a master ?

Stuartli 14:04 18 Oct 06

The Master optical drive (rewriter) will be D and the Slave (ROM) optical drive will be E.

Giggle n' Bits 10:14 19 Oct 06

That makes sense, I did it but still nero thinks there is a CD Wtr as Source and also as Destination drive. Must be a bug.

Justr noticed the drive is not in the list of Nero's so i will take it thats the reason.

Thanks for your call.

Stuartli 11:05 19 Oct 06

Windows can list/usually lists any optical drive as a CD drive - the function is basically the same whether it's a ROM or rewriter and both use the same basic Windows CDROM driver.

In the case of rewriters it's the software that controls its intended purpose i.e. burning.

Stuartli 11:10 19 Oct 06

You can have a drive performing the role of both source and destination drive if you use the (superior) hard drive image method.

However, I prefer to use my DVD-ROM drive for tasks such as listening to audio CDs, installing software etc and using the rewriter purely for its intended purpose; rewriters are not as robust or have the same longevity as ROM drives so careful use prolongs their lifespan substantially.

I've just changed my still working perfectly five-year-old TDK CyClone CD-rewriter (rebadged Samsung model) for a Sony DVD rewriter, but only to gain the benefits of DVD blank disks.

Giggle n' Bits 00:09 20 Oct 06

Didn't know Wtrs have a shorter life span but can sort of see why when you come to mention it.

cheers.

Stuartli 09:02 20 Oct 06

If you study manufacturers' MTBF figures for various drives, you'll gather that the average life expectancy of a rewriter is less than that of a basic drive.

However, optical drives' prices have dropped so dramatically in recent times that it's probably not worth worrying too much about it...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos