Nero does not recognise DVD drive

Hi. My Sony DVD rewriter died after 16 months (12 months warranty but thats another story!!).

I have replaced it with a NEC ND2510A drive which reads DVDs just fine and can write to them successfully using Sonic recordnow. Windows explorer recognises the drive as a DVD-RW drive.

Nero, however, will only recognise it as a generic CD rewriter. I have downloaded and installed the latest update but this made no difference. Nero 6 was not included with the drive as it was an OEM purchase.

Any ideas, anyone?

ensonricky 11:12 23 Jul 04

The drive you have is a very new drive and hasn,t been around for that long. The latest Nero 5 update you quote however has been in existance for some time and predares your drive.
Unless your willing to wait for a further Nero update I would suggest you purchase Nero 6 which can be purchased cheaply online.

Thanks for that. Looks like I will have to dig a little deeper into the pocket! Any suggestions as to where is the best place (cheapest?) to purchase from?

Ironman556 11:27 23 Jul 04

Try SVP, click here very cheap for all things DVD-r and CD-r related, and great service. Ordered from there a few times now and never had a problem.

Sans le Sou 11:46 23 Jul 04

Had a look on ahead list but your burner has not yet been added to the supported player list. I am sure that the latest Nero6 will support your drive, could you find out what the full retail NEC is supplied with or contact Ahead directly. If you want the full version of Nero 6 you can buy it from Ahead directly. They quote the price in $US, if the exchange rate is favourable it brings the price down, expect to pay around £50+ though.

Sans le Sou 11:49 23 Jul 04

That is for the boxed set you can get it cheaper if you download the demo version and purchase the activation code. Sorry got carried away.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll close this thread now as all my questions have definitely been answered.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…