NERO Burning. Wot is DMA??

Baslla321 11:11 09 Aug 03

I just installed Nero burning 5.0 and in the Manual it suggests that I should enable DMA for better reading and writing performance. When I got to it, my PC warned me that this changing of setting may have undesireable effects with my hardware. What does DMA mean and how can it effect my hardware? I am afraid to risk it!!

JIM 11:23 09 Aug 03

Dont worry about the warning about undesireable effects.It is a standard meesage, just click to carry on.If that option is not available to your hardware windows will not change it.If you have a look in device manager,highlight the properties in the cd/rw and hardrive you should see if that is an option.

Better if you post your systems speck and Win OS
to us first.

Nero burning 5.0 is not the best version as your limited to upgrades,better if you install a copy of 5.5

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:24 09 Aug 03

When DMA is selected it should increase the access speed of the disk. If you check it and restart windows, if your disk supports this feature, it will remain checked. If you have problems uncheck it.

G

AMD 4 ever 11:25 09 Aug 03

It must be done with caution, as some older hardware does not support dma and can wreck the item[worst case]

JIM 11:27 09 Aug 03

DMA is located in the Hardware Resources category in System Information. It displays information about your system's direct memory access (DMA). DMA transfers data between system memory and hardware devices without passing it through the CPU. The Resource column in the details pane displays the DMA channel that is being used by the device, which is listed in the Device column. The Status column displays the status of the device.

If the Status column indicates an error, such as Error, Degraded, Unknown, Pred Fail, Starting, Stopping, or Service, you can try the following troubleshooting solutions:

Use Device Manager to locate and troubleshoot the problem. For more information about Device Manager, see Device Manager.

Reconfigure the settings in the system BIOS or EFI.
For more information about the Hardware Resources folder, see Hardware Resources.

SEASHANTY 11:40 09 Aug 03

If You have Windows XP go to All Programmes >
Accessories / System Tools / System Information. Click on the latter which will bring up the system info window. Click on the plus sign in the box to the left of "Hardware Resouces" then click on DMA.
This will open a new window showing what devices are DMA enabled. Probably your floppy drive and Enhanced Parallel port etc. This means you have DMA enabled so can enable it on your CD writer drive. DMA is Direct Memory Access and speeds up data transfer by
sending info direct from device to device without having to access the CPU all the time.

Baslla321 12:37 09 Aug 03

I have Windoes 98 Intel Pentium 11 350MHZ MMX

Baslla321 13:54 09 Aug 03

I was brave enough to try once more and I enabled DMA and rebooted. Just after start up, Nortons Crashgard said that I have a crash in SYM TRAY but it was remedied. I got a second one, same SYM TRAY when I dialled up to access the internet. This was also remedied by Crashgard. I am keeping my fingers crossed hoping for no more crashes. Wot is SYM Tray anyway? Is it the system?

Thanks all.

JIM 13:54 09 Aug 03

See no problem with your spec.

I gather that you have added the cd/rw cabling etc.Even if all your hardware was not supported by DMA having the cd/rw on system makes life easier by all account.

JIM 14:14 09 Aug 03

You had me there with your same time post,
read the part With Nortons Crashgard and that dates your system well.

Nothing wrong as i said with you system but, Nortons Crashgard was one of the worst software additions to there range.It really did cause problems and confusion so much so that Symantec had to drop it rather sharpish like.I would uninstall that program with out fear. It would get to the stage of causing unxplained crashes
which did not help anyone.

I am not trying to be funny in my words to you
but i remember the personal experience with that program well.

The, Nortons Crashgard said that you have a crash in SYM TRAY. well know remark from Crashgard.
SYS TRAY it should be.

morganmight 14:33 09 Aug 03

I,m thinking of changing from w98se to xp,so the info from SEASHANTY might help me. Hope you don,t mind,
thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…