Nero 6 won't recognise CDs but will recognise DVDs

morters 08:43 AM 10 Dec 11

Have Windows XP and Nero 6 CD/DVD burner. Tried to burn CD but keep getting message saying I must insert blank CD; have tried perhaps 6 blank Sony CD-rs that have previously worked fine but with no success and same message. Tried playing a music CD but also with no success.

Tried a DVD with music on it and it worked fine. Have not tried to burn DVD yet but had no problem a week or so ago.

Have searched internet for solutions but ended up very confused as am not very technically minded.

Can anybody help, please?

mgmcc 08:52 AM 10 Dec 11

It sounds as though your CD/DVD drive has failed. These use different lasers for CD and DVD and the one used to read/write CD may no longer be functioning.

morters 09:00 AM 10 Dec 11

Thanks, mgmcc, that sounds a bit depressing and terminal!

eedcam 09:34 AM 10 Dec 11

Is it only Blank Cd's it cant see ie it will see full ones

morters 09:43 AM 10 Dec 11

eedcam it can't read full ones, either home burn compilations or shop-purchased music cds.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:26 AM 10 Dec 11

Check cable is fully inserted at rear of drive and at motherboard end

Uninstall in device manager - reboot the machine and let windows reinstall

If still same then laser/ alignment failed - renew drive

A new drive is approx £20 (although IDE drives are getting harder to come by) easy to change unclip front cover (not always necessary)4 screws 2 cables and slide out out the front. fitting new drive is a reversal of this procedure.

eedcam 10:28 AM 10 Dec 11

Aaargh! May be as MGM says then external drives are reasonable to buy but Just in case its a Nero thing (unlikely but possible)and before you spend your hard earned pennies youcould install Imgburn Its free and perfectly safe If that does not see the cd then its probably RIP to the drive When /If you go to the link Do not download from the first big box with the green tab scroll down to the second box and click on the first section thats the latest version of imgburn Imgburn

morters 10:31 AM 10 Dec 11

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - thanks for response. But... opening up machine is a bit scary. Never done it before. "Uninstall in device manager - reboot the machine and let windows reinstall" - how/where do I do this?

morters 10:38 AM 10 Dec 11

eedcam - don't see "first big box with the green tab" on link, let alone second, or am I just being incredibly dim (not unheard of).

morters 11:35 AM 10 Dec 11

Have to go out for hour or so, so don't think me rude if I don't reply to any hoped for answers! Fruit Bat /\0/\ - have at least found device manager but can't find anything relating to Nero.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:35 PM 10 Dec 11

Your not uninstalling Nero you are Uninstalling the DVD drive

Device manager - DVD/CD Rom Drives - right click on the drive and select Uninstall

Shut down windows in the normal way then retart the machine windows will find new hardware and reinstall the DVD drive.

when its reinstalled see if it will read CDs

But... opening up machine is a bit scary How to change a DVD drive You tube video

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

OnePlus 2 UK release date, price, specification rumours: We're just hours away from the OnePlus 2 l2…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Motoman robots: from killing The Terminator to samurai swordmanship

Why Apple's being criticised for everything, even the good things