Nero 6 Reloaded

jessej 07:43 16 Nov 04

I don't know if this is the right place for this as I don't really need any help, at least, I don't think I do.
Havimg read about it in the magazine, I downloaded Nero 6 Reloaded, and paid for it.
Installing it was a doddle but, afterwards Zone Alarm stopped loading at start up which was rather worrying, I found that the tick had been removed so that it didn't. Not so worrying but very annoying, my printer, a Lexmark X86, has stopped working. So far I have uninstalled/reinstalled it twice, immediately after doing so it works, turn off the computer and come back to it later and back to square one, I get the message 'can't communicate with the printer' and I have start all over again. It could well be taking up flying lessons from my bedroom window later today.
Coincidence? I don't know, maybe somebody out there does, if so I will be pleased to hear about it. Incidentally I am on XP Home and I installed SP2 a couple of weeks ago. Which reminds me, the settings were also altered in the Security Centre in SP2 as well and the Windows Firewall was turned back on. Funny or what?

User-312386 08:34 16 Nov 04

look in start>all programmes>start up

To see if Nero has loaded

Also click on start>run and type msconfig, look on the startup tab to see if Nero is loading at startup, if it is, uncheck the box, click apply and then restart the computer

jessej 14:19 16 Nov 04

Many thanks madboy33. Firstly, the printer is an X84/X85, don't know where the X86 came from.
Actually what I have done now is to uninstall Nero altogether for now, I've put it on a CD so it will be no trouble to reinstall it later. Its the printer I'm having problems with, I've just reinstalled it yet again for the fourth time, but only the first since uninstalling Nero. During installation up pops a window with the message >a problem has occurred and your hardware may not work properly<, that is following the instructions to the letter so I don't know what the problem is. These messages are so annoying, aren't I good, the words I'm using at home cannot be used here, they tell you there is a problem but not what it is. As before, the printer worked fine immediately afterwards, do a restart and up comes the message >unable to communicate with the printer< Just a thought, I've got a spare USB cable, might be worth changing them and see what happens. I can't think of anything else except that maybe the printer has given up the ghost.

User-312386 20:33 16 Nov 04

Hi Again

Ok lets go through this.

1 Uninstall the printer software. Do not restart computer.

2 Right click "My Computer", Select properties and then click on the Hardware tab. Now click on the Device manager tab and then look to see if there is an yellow exclamation mark. If there is then you need to right click on that select delete.

Now Unplug USB cable from the PC. Now restart the computer.

Now when the PC has restarted, load the sofware. When that has loaded (and it might even tell you to plug the printer in before) plug the printer in.

Hope this helps

jessej 11:31 17 Nov 04

Thanks again madboy. Done all that, no yellow exclamation marks in device manager, properties say device is working properly. Latest driver downloaded and installed. Try to print anything and up pops the message >cannot communicate with the printer< Use the printer immediately after reinstalling it and it works perfectly, try and use it after the computer has been switched off and get the message shown above. If it was not for the fact that I have other USB devices running OK I would be starting to think there was a problem with the USB ports. I'm stumped, what I thought was something very simple is beginning to look rather more serious.

keith-236785 11:46 17 Nov 04

try a different usb cable for your printer, it might be faulty, also try sawapping usb ports about. might work but if not, nothing lost.

jessej 10:19 18 Nov 04

Many thanks to all. At the fifth attempt the printer is now up and running again.
This is not the first time this has happened so I am thinking it was just coincidence that it started playing up just at the time that I installed Nero 6. Time will tell. As to why the printer decides to go belly up every few months or so, well your guess is as good as anybody's. I can't find out why, nor can Lexmark tech support. The favourite must be something to do with the USB cable or ports, I can't think of anything else. Seeing as its now two years old maybe next time it has a paddy I'll just replace it though two years is not exactly 'old'.
Thanks again for your suggestions.

Stuartli 11:23 18 Nov 04

XP + SP2 turns on the Windows firewall by default so you have to disable it via the Security Center.

jessej 10:39 19 Nov 04

Thank you Stuartli. You seemed to have missed something though, or perhaps I didn't make it plain, when I installed SP2 I disabled the Windows friewall. When I installed Nero/started having printer problems, somehow the Windows firewall became enabled. Now either the Nero installation turned it on or the printer did, or maybe it was Fred (our local friendly ghost) but one thing is for sure, I did not. Another little mystery which will forever remain unsolved I suspect. At least I've got the printer working again, now all I need to do is get Nero back up and running.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…