"Neo Toolbar" malware invasion

Cybermaxx 11:57 06 Nov 04

I cannot get rid of this. I ran Panda Activescan, which found and removed three viruses. I have ran AdAware SE several times, which keeps finding the same malware, removes it, and the same malware is there next time I run it!

I have tried removing the Neo Toolbar using Add/Remove Programs, and it looks as if it has been uninstalled but it just comes back again. I'm out of ideas now, and seriously thinking about carrying out a tiresome factory restore on my "C" hard drive partition.

Any solutions before I take this drastic action?

Cybermaxx 12:11 06 Nov 04

Edit! I went Run > MSCONFIG > Startup > Disable all, and the Neo thingy has diappeared. It's still listed in Add/remove programs though. I know that if I try to uninstall it, it will just come back. Any ideas?

Jackcoms 12:16 06 Nov 04

Which OS?

Cybermaxx 12:19 06 Nov 04

Windows XP Home Edition

Jackcoms 12:26 06 Nov 04

OK. Try this:

Download, install and update click here
click here
click here
click here

When they're all installed and updated, switch off System Restore (you'll lose all your restore points).

Now run full scans with ALL your AV and malware scanners and run 'Issues' in CCleaner. You can safely delete everything that it finds.

When all the scans are finished you should, hopefully, be 'clean'.

Switch Sys Restore back on.

curlylad 12:28 06 Nov 04

You could try this free program a² free click here or you could try an uninstall tool , My Uninstaller click here

SANTOS7 12:40 06 Nov 04

C:\WINDOWS\System32\msqsb.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdoh.dll
search for these delete them if they exist, restart you pc,good luck..................

Cybermaxx 13:16 06 Nov 04

Hahaha, I downloaded all those programs listed (thanks, by the way!). I thought I'd try the "My Uninstaller" first. When I ran it, I unwittingly deleted the listing rather than actually uninstalling the program. Now I can't find it to uninstall it. it hasn't shown up again yet.......

Right, now for those other programs!

Jackcoms 15:20 06 Nov 04

Cybermaxx

Report back and let us know how you get on.

Cybermaxx 16:43 06 Nov 04

Hmmm, I'm still gettimg a few Critical Hits showing up when I go online. It says "Type: IE Cache", "Category: Data Miner". It must be that Neo Toolbar that's still installed (and thanks to my blundering now impossible to locate).

Jackcoms 16:50 06 Nov 04

Have you run all the malware scanners and CCleaner yet?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…