Negative scanning

VNAM75 20:28 08 Dec 06

I bought a scanner (Lide 600f) and have scanned a few photos. But I have something included to scan negatives. I just wondered what happens when you scan a negative - do you get a picture like you would when you scan a photo. Then why scan the negative?

Bagsey 20:55 08 Dec 06

I dont have your scanner but I have a Primefilm and yours should do the same as mine. You will have some software that will allow you to scan a negative and convert it to a positive image. You ask why scan a negative if you have a photo. Well you will get a better image from the negative than you would from a positive image. When you scan a positive photo it will be on photo paper and if you try to get a large scan you will most probably pick up the grain in the paper and magnify that so spoiling thr scanned image. This you wont get(or unlikely to get) from the negative. I hope this helps.

VNAM75 21:34 08 Dec 06

Thanks Bagsey, that expalains it well. Just hope I have kept most of the negatives.

Technotiger 21:48 08 Dec 06

Hi, I have scanned some 45yr old colour negatives with my Epson scanner, printed them on photo paper with excellent results.

Bagsey 10:14 09 Dec 06

I should have mentioned that it will do slides(Transparencies) equally as well. I have just got to the end of 20 boxes of slides from my days working in Malawi. All came out very well indeed. The only problem I had was dust on some of the slides. This I cured by taking the slide out of the glass where it was fitted or cleaning up using Paintshop Prop where necessary.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac