Negative scanner

Elrond 11:07 02 Apr 03

My girlfriend is doing a photogrpahy degree and she wants to look into getting a negative scanner(is this the same as transparency adapter) so that she can scan her 35mm films directly into the pc for digital edtiting. She already has a normal scanner but was wondering where we may find an adapter and how much it may cost. Will it be worth buying seperate? Or would it work out the same cost to get a new scanner with a 35mm neg adapter on? Thanks for help and time people

Magik™ 12:01 02 Apr 03

a dedicated scanner would be a lot better, i use the Minolta Dimage scan dual. it is quick and accurate.....and not that pricey....as things go.

Patr100 12:25 02 Apr 03

You can get flatbed scanners with slide attachments for around £100 or less but dedicated slide/film scanners can be several hundred pounds so depends what you budget is.

Paranoid Android 12:57 02 Apr 03

As a short term fix, most decent photo shops (incl Boots) will put negatives onto CD for you for a small fee. One word of warning - always go for the highest quality option.

Marvin

Filch 14:01 02 Apr 03

For quality, and I should think this is what your girlfriend wants, a negative, or rather film scanner as they will scan slides as well as negatives both b/w & colour, is the only way to go. I too use the Minolta Dimâge Scan Dual - III is the latest. Very good, good price, good software. It is USB.

€dstow 14:37 02 Apr 03

For anything more than a casual snapshot, a dedicated scanner is essential.

As a studio we still use real photographic film and convert to digital via a film scanner and as your girlfriend is doing a photography degree, I strongly suggest she does the same.

For information, we work in transparencies rather than negative but there is no reason why you shouldn't work in any medium you feel comfortable in. It is best not to work from a print, though, if you are hoping for high quality (publishable) results.

€d

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…