needs two attempts to start...

Windcaid 17:31 PM 25 Sep 11

HP Pavilion running Win 7. Each day I have turned on my computer this week it hasn't engaged the first time. The blue strip of light goes on and the red light on the mouse is activated but it then fails to move to the next crucial step! I then turn it off manually and try again. On the second try it works.

birdface 18:09 PM 25 Sep 11

Try starting in safe mode[keep tapping F8 as the computer starts] and click on last good configuration and see if that helps.

Windcaid 18:25 PM 25 Sep 11

Wll try that but this problem is occurring before Windows kicks in.

Graphicool1 18:52 PM 25 Sep 11

Try a different PSU.

Windcaid 21:49 PM 25 Sep 11

My thinking was going that way but this is a simline desktop with a non generic PSU. this would prove expensive to buy just to test.Would a regular ATX Psu just hooked up but not installed be OK. Peripherals are all regular.

rdave13 21:54 PM 25 Sep 11

Possibly just a poor connection somewhere. First thing I'd check is that the power chord to the PSU is securely in place.

Windcaid 00:13 AM 27 Sep 11

Turned out to be a faulty power supply to a usb hub which was powering an external drive. As the computer was looking for bootable media and the drive was making the cyclical click it hung. Just plugged it into the tower itself where it got more juice et voila! Loaded windows first time every time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The 14 most useless gadgets of all time: nauseating, crappy and downright silly technology, from a…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Google Maps for web gets a Material Design-inspired makeover

New Apple TV 2015 release date and UK price: buy from Apple in late October, in store in November