needed-easy to follow steps on securing network

mags65 16:11 29 Dec 05

I have 3 computers networked but the default wireless network connection showing on the kids PC and the laptop are showing as unsecure and configured for open access. I want to change this so that they are secure. can anyone tell me how to do this in easy to follow steps. Many thanks in advance

Strawballs 23:27 29 Dec 05
  mags65 17:08 30 Dec 05

Thanks for the info but I am confused by the whole ADSL....BROADBAND router thing. My router is a broadband router and whenever I go to the router settings to secure the network (much like is explained on the link you supplied) I lose internet acces on the 2 wireless PC's. I must be putting the wrong info somewhere. I have to keep resetting to factory default to allow access to the internet. I don't like running an unsecure network but I cant do it any other way at the moment. The help pages on the router instructions are confusing.

mgmcc 17:43 30 Dec 05

To secure the network, you set up encryption in the router's wireless settings using a "key". You then have to reconnect with the Wireless Network Adapters in the PCs, but additionally having to enter the "key" in order to be able to connect again to the network.

There would be no point in setting up a secure link in the router if the wireless adapters could still access it without restriction. The encryption "key" has to be used throughout your wireless network.

PaulB2005 18:00 30 Dec 05

"whenever I go to the router settings to secure the network (much like is explained on the link you supplied) I lose internet acces on the 2 wireless PC's"

As mgmcc you will also need to enter the same key into the laptops in the wireless configuration manager. Hence you loose the wireless conncection. All PCs and laptops are locked out of your network until you enter the key on them.

mags65 19:39 30 Dec 05

but I did do what you said and on one ocassion the wireless connection was connected and the strength was excellent but it still would'nt allow me access to the internet. on hte other ocassion, after I enetred the key it hung on acquiring an IP address. So i was back to square one and had to reset the default and go back to an unsecured network. Now I have noticed that my main PC IP address has changed as well. Now it has the address that the kids one had. Confused about all this..yes very.

mgmcc 20:27 30 Dec 05

If encryption is causing difficulties, you might find MAC address filtering to be less problematical. When you enable this, only those wireless adapters whose MAC address has been entered in the router's settings can connect to it.

To find the MAC address of a PC's network adapter, run IPCONFIG /ALL in a command prompt window and look for the "physical address" - a string of 12 hexadecimal characters in six groups of two.

<<< Now I have noticed that my main PC IP address has changed as well. Now it has the address that the kids one had. >>>

That doesn't matter. The router's DHCP server has a "pool" from which it allocates IP addresses and as long as all connected computers have an address in the same range from this pool, there isn't a problem.

mags65 20:45 30 Dec 05

If I use MAC address filtering will my network still show as unsecure but in effect it will be secure (or as secure as is possible these days) I am going to try that now.

mgmcc 20:57 30 Dec 05

It will probably still show that security hasn't been enabled because you are not using encryption, but only your WiFi adapters will be able to access the router.

Unless you have a dedicated hacker within range, you are not going to have a problem and, perhaps more importantly, nobody else can "piggy-back" on your connection to get free internet access.

mags65 21:36 30 Dec 05

Have done what you said and although I had a bit of trouble getting it to work (kept losing internet connection again) It now seems to work fine. Suppose a good way to test it would be to see if my friend next door can access it, if not then I know I must have done something right.

Thanks again, I know I have been an almighty pain in the bum.

Strawballs 22:45 30 Dec 05

Mac address filtering works well, a friend of mine runs his wireless with this and asked me to take my laptop round to try it, it picked up that there was an unsecured network but no matter what I tried I could not piggy back his bandwidth which he was very pleased about because he was having the same problem as you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…