Need your help concerning the internet

Doire_Bhoy 13:32 01 Nov 05

NTL installed a modem for broadband next to my tv downstairs as thats where their cables are situated.

My pc is in my room. Is there any way i can make a connection from the modem up to the pc?

The NTL guy told me to buy a wireless router. I did. Can someone explain what i need to do next?

Im thinking the wireless router has to be connected to my pc by an ethernet cable. Am i right?

Thanks.

DieSse 13:42 01 Nov 05

How is the modem suposed to be connected to your PC - by USB, or Ethernet?

If it's Ethernet - then you can simply fit an ethernet cable from the PC to the modem -

OR

You can go wireless. Then you connect the router to the modem, and fit a wireless card, or USB adapter to the PC. The whole point about wireless is that you DON'T need a cable to the PC.

Personally I prefer cable connections for a fixed desktop PC.

Batch 13:58 01 Nov 05

Assuming that the NTL is USB, it can be connected directly to the PC, but there will be a limit on the cable length supported - maybe 5 metres - does anyone know? But you can get repeaters.

If you are going to use a wireless router, it needs to incorporate an ADSL modem (to replace the NTL modem). Does the one that you have bought have a modem. You (almost certainly) won't be able to connect the NTL modem (assuming USB) to a wireless router as the wireless router will be ethernet, not USB.

So best if you tell us:
What type of NTL modem (USB or ethernet)
What type of wireless router (with / without ADSL modem)
Distance a cable run from modem point to PC would need to be.

pj123 14:07 01 Nov 05

That seems very strange on NTLs behalf to me.

My NTL cable box to TV is upstairs (I have Satellite on my main TV) My computer is downstairs and the NTL engineer just fitted another cable connection from the main incoming cable through an outside wall to within 6ft of my computer and connected the modem up for me.

For wireless connection (as DieSse) says. Think of the Router as a "sender" so you would need a "receiver" fitted in your PC.

Doire_Bhoy 14:16 01 Nov 05

Im trying to connect my pc upstairs to the modem which is installed downstairs.

I dont wat to have a cable going up to the pc from the modem...im looking for a wireless connection.

The modem is both usb and ethernet
The wireless router has ADSL.

The NTL guy installed my modem downstairs (connected to NTL cables nest to my tv) and he told me to buy a wireless router

pj123 15:35 01 Nov 05

The router will be connected to your modem downstairs, which will send the signal to your computer upstairs but you will still need a receiver "wireless adapter" in your computer.

Doire_Bhoy 15:42 01 Nov 05

Thanks pj123. I bought a Belkin wirless adpater (on Saturday) as my NIC isnt working.

So thats all i need?

Doire_Bhoy 15:47 01 Nov 05

This is what i bought. Will this work?

click here

PaulB2005 15:49 01 Nov 05

Yup. Got 3 of those here.

Did you get a Wireless Router?

Doire_Bhoy 16:01 01 Nov 05

Yes mate i have a wireless router too. Im going hook it up to the modem (downstairs) and hopefully my pc (upstairs) gets a connection to broadband.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…