Need a Word guru!

wetterfugal 22:28 17 Jan 03
  wetterfugal 22:28 17 Jan 03

My Word 97 programme loads up OK but after about 10 mins or so I lose the buttons on the standard toolbar. I could restore them by selecting the toolbar in the customising menu and clicking reset but this would only work for a time and they would dissapear again. Now I can only get the buttons back by reloading, any ideas?

VoG™ 22:32 17 Jan 03

Exit Word. Do a search for NORMAL.DOT and rename all instances to ABNORMAL.DOT

Restart Word. If that doesn't work rename them back and post back.

wetterfugal 23:12 17 Jan 03

I have done what you say and reloaded Word every thing looks OK I will post back but it may not be until tomorrow as it happens when I am copying tutorials from the net and saveing then to PC. rather intensively.

I can say that I have been getting popups saying someting about NORMAL.DOT and asking if I want to save, I have just ignored it as I feared that if I said yes it would be a wrong thing to do. However it has been very persistant so I gave in and said yes, it still made no diference.

I noticed that there were two instances of NORMAL.DOT one in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates at 36Kb dated today [Thats when I opted to save]and one in C:\MS Office\Templates at 13Kb dated 1999.

I will get back with the results tomorrow.

Regards, Vic A

Forum Editor 00:17 18 Jan 03

open a blank document. Change something - say the font, and/or the page layout, and then save the file as a Word template. You could call it 'tutorial'.

Then, when you are going to do one of your intensive tutorial coppying sessions, open the tutorial template and copy them into that. Save them as normal word docs.

That should prevent the problem from appearing again.

wetterfugal 13:04 18 Jan 03

Thanks Ed. I will do that and if the problem occurs again I will use the "Tutorial" Templateas you say.

wetterfugal 20:14 19 Jan 03

I have had time to test out the suggestions now and I find that VoG™'s does not work. When I finish with a file and close it that, is when the buttons disappear.

Ed's version works providing that I don’t close the file before opening a new "" template first.

There is one further nag, every time I close down word I get "WINWORD caused an invalid page fault in module MSO97.DLL at 015f:307cd6d5."

This has been happening for a couple of weeks but the template fault has been with me for months.
I am going to look on the Microsoft site but if you have any ideas they would be appreciated.

Regards, Vic A

VoG™ 20:31 19 Jan 03

This does not cover your particular error but may be useful click here

I would suggest (as per the topics covered in that article):

Start Word in Safe mode using the /a switch

Try reinstalling Word over itself

Try a full uninstall and reinstall as described in Q168198.

Good luck!

wetterfugal 20:40 19 Jan 03

I have another browser window open in the knowlege base but your link makes it easier,

Thanks VoG™.

wetterfugal 19:47 20 Jan 03

I have come to a satisfactory solution by creating another tool bar, "My Toolbar" and I have put most of the standard toolbar buttons on it plus others that are useful to me.

I found that creating the "My Tutorial" template worked ok provided that I left it open unused. and opened a "New Document" instead.

If I used the template and saved as a doc then closed it the standard buttons would dissapear again. However I an happy with it now and I would like to thank you again. I will now resolve the post.

Regards, Vic A.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…