Need Wireless Help Please

Lowjack 08:00 02 Apr 07

I have a home office with a Mac, and a PC. Previously the office was downstairs, and has now moved upstairs. I had our ISP send a tech out to setup the connection upstairs, and I've noticed my wired speeds are horrible, and I get disconnects all the time. I tore open some walls and panels to see what the issue is. This is what i have found.

1 ADSL modem (basement) connected to a switch, which then connects to CO-AXILE and runs 75ft of cable to a second switch on my main floor. That switch then runs CO-AIXLE up the wall to a 3rd switch, and rj-45's into my two computers.

What I need help with is understanding wireless setup. I want to get rid of all this cableing garbage. What I want is a wireless router downstairs, and a wireless router upstairs (with rj-45s to plug my computers into). Can I expect to plug my modem downstairs into a wireless router, then use another wireless router upstairs to get a stable connection? I have no wireless adapters in either computers, and access to several wireless routers. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm not really strong with networking, more of a hardware guy. But I know there's a better solution than what I've been given by my ISP.

Strawballs 00:21 03 Apr 07
  Ashrich 09:25 03 Apr 07

A decent Mimo or draft N wireless router/modem is what you need , although it would be better placed on either the main ( middle ) floor or the top where the rest of your kit is . If there is no chance of placing the modem/router in a better place it might be better to buy a wireless access point as well , get both items by the same manufacturer and make sure they support WDS ( Wireless distribution ) or similar , then the first can be set up in the basement and the second can be placed to boost and distribute the signal to areas where the first cannot reach .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…