Need for Windows reinstall when upgrading?

Xeno 17:24 01 May 04

I'm about to upgrade my processor/m'board/memory combo and have been told I'll need to reinstall Windows (XP Pro). If so, why? I'm leaving my 2 hard-drives in place (the D is used as a back-up and doesn't have Windows installed).
I've found it difficult to re-establish internet setting in the past after a Windows reinstall and would like to avoid it if possible. can anyone help?

mikeyb59 17:36 01 May 04

I had exactly the same question and the advice I received was try it. See click here

In my case it didn't work and I had to do a full install. BTW - whats on your D drive is irrelevant if it contains no operating system.

Hope this is of some help.

leo49 01:30 02 May 04

A reinstall will usually be on the cards but you can minmise your Internet settings pains by utilizing the Files and Settings Transfer wizard to export your IE/OE settings[and much else], save them on your D storage drive and then reimport afterwards.

hugh-265156 02:02 02 May 04

windows may throw a wobbly when it tries to load up as it will be looking for your old mobo hardware.

you may get away with it and just have to install the new mobo/chipset drivers etc if windows starts up and you are lucky,try it and see.

usually a windows re install is the most trouble free in your situation though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5