Need web savvy people pleae!

misters 18:29 03 Jun 03

Hi I was wondering if any1 can help, I'm looking to design a web page and then upload it for public viewing. I just dont know how to go about it, I know it will have a home page and then links to other pages, like next story etc. I was just wondering what is the best software and how would i upload it to my web space, also is i was to purchase a name like .com or co.uk where is the best place to buy this. thanx in advance.

Pesala 20:34 03 Jun 03

A Google search for Domain Names revealed this link among others: click here

Check if your ISP provides free webspace. Consider changing to one who does. Not worth having free webspace with advertising on it. It is not that expensive.

Probably you will want something simple if you are designing a website for the first time. If you want a professional product that is inexpensive but easy to use try Net Objects Fusion. It is just like using a DTP program. You can download a trial version, but be warned, the download is 47 Mbtyes!

DTP products like Serif Page Plus or MS Publisher can be used. So too can Word or Open Office.

Forum Editor 22:47 03 Jun 03

(and Pesala's link is as good a place to start as any) and your web space with your domain on it, you're ready to create and upload a site.

There are a few basic rules about web sites, and if you stick to them you'll at least have the pleasure of seeing your lovingly crafted pages revealed to the world at the first attempt.

1. You'll probably want to start with a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) web package, rather than learning how to write HTML from the ground up. Whilst there are many cheap, or even free programs around I recommend that you aim for a good mid-range program if your wallet permits. Microsoft FrontPage is an excellent application for beginners and experts alike, as is NetObjects Fusion, or Serif Page Plus.

2. Make sure that when you build the site you put everything inside one folder. You should create a sub-folder for images (call it images), and all the separate pages should be given distinct file names, followed by the file suffix .htm (although your software will probably add this automatically).

3. Make sure that your homepage filename is index.htm - web browsers automatically look for that and load it when you type www. yoursitename .co.uk (the spaces are to prevent a blue 'click here' forming when this post is published on the forum).

4. Don't use capital letters in your filenames.

5. If you put images on your site (and I hope you do), make sure that they are either saved as .jpeg or .gif files by your image editor, and try to keep the file sizes down - so they load faster. Exeriment, it's the best way to learn about web images. You may come acrosss a third image type, called .PNG but you can safely ignore it for now. It's a newer format, and works like a gif, only better.

6. As a rule of thumb, use gifs for simple images with big blocks of plain colour - logos and other graphics, and jpegs for colour photos.

7. Avoid fancy animated gizmos - you'll see lots of them tempting you from free download sites, but nothing makes a site look 'amateur' than a load of flashing, twisting, sparkling gifs. They irritate people, and drive them away.

8. Likewise music - don't be tempted to run a looped music file on your site. The times when I want to reach for a baseball bat are few and far between, but a naff music track on a web site does it every time.

9. Avoid over fussy backgrounds - less is more where backgrounds are concerned.

10. Beware font abuse - the killer disease of first-time publishers. Web browsers can only display fonts that reside in the site visitors' font folder, and if my machine hasn't got superkillerdiller wingbats italic installed it will display your text in Times New Roman.

11. That's enough..........

Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask for more advice as you go along - no matter how basic your question. We all started from where you are now, and some of us made all kinds of silly mistakes, so don't be shy.

slowhand_1000 23:14 03 Jun 03

Just thought I would put a shout in for Hotmetal Pro as a WYSIWYG web package. I found it quite easy to use and it came with a half decent manual and priced about £55.

Forum Editor 00:15 04 Jun 03

I forgot to mention it, and yes, you're right - it's an easy program to learn with.

misters 21:45 05 Jun 03

Can I just ask one more thing, FEs advice was brillant, but i'm still not really sure what i need to upload my website to my www. Is there some software for doing this?
thanx in advance.

Forum Editor 23:13 05 Jun 03

your website is to use a method called FTP (File Transfer Protocol), whereby the files that you've created are simply transferred to your space on a web server. You can do this with any program that uses FTP transfer - many people use a program called WSFTP Pro which you can get if you
click here

Before you can do this however, you'll need to make sure that your domain name is hosted on the server. That means that you have your own webspace, and that the machines that run the Internet directory system (called Domain Name Servers) know where your domain is situated. They'll know, because the company which hosts the name (often, but not necessarily the same company who sold you the name) will tell them.

It's not easy to explain the way it all works in a few words, but come back to this thread for more information as and when you need it.

barryoneoff.co.uk 14:18 08 Jun 03

someone asks this question.

Dont worry about buying or downloading software or FTP software. You dont need it! Get a free web host such as 20m.com and all the tools and software is there for you.

Once you have had a bash with this and you feel you are hooked, as happened to me, get a pay for site at oneandone.co.uk (cheap). They will give you all the tools to design and upload 12 pages and also send you a free copy of net objects fusion 7 and Micrographix 10 graphics pack for when you get more ambtious.

This is how I started less than a year ago. I have never spent a penny on software. (I cant afford to!)
Cheers and good luck, Whiz...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…