Need to upgrade but which of these is best?

NChick 20:50 29 Jun 06

Hi there. I'm a first time Forum user. Though I'm normally good with PCs (and will be fitting the part myself), I'm a little confused as to which of these cards will give me the best performance (for Dungeon Siege 2 and Freelancer mainly, if it makes a diff).

click here

click here

I have an AMD Athlon 2400 + (heh, I think), 512mb ram, 64mb Geforce 4 MX440. AGP slot is V2 compliant, supports 66mhz 1x, 2x and 4x modes. Thanks in advance!

SG Atlantis® 20:55 29 Jun 06

both cards are the SAME.

Totally-braindead 20:56 29 Jun 06

They are the same card by different manufacturers so to be honest there will little if any difference. I have to say though that both these cards are rather poor nowadays.

SG Atlantis® 20:56 29 Jun 06

Sapphire is a better more popular brand though.

NChick 21:00 29 Jun 06

They looked pretty similar to me, but unfortunately I am seriously hampered by my budget (you ever heard of Jobseeker's Allowance?!) so it's gotta be one of these.
Will both work? The Connect3D sounds better, but there's no clue (for me at least) as to whether it'll work in my old AGP slot. Any ideas on that one?

P.S - Thanks for the quick reply for the last one... I was expecting to wait for at least a week!

SG Atlantis® 21:05 29 Jun 06

yes they'll work, both of em.

Look on ebay.... you might find a bargain card that bit better than those. click here

NChick 21:18 29 Jun 06

I've installed a sum total of TWO graphics cards in my time, and both were replacements in seperate Win98 PCs. Are there are different cables and devices to consider with these two, or can I simply plug it in and have XP Pro detect it (god, how I *love* that!)?

Totally-braindead 21:20 29 Jun 06

The two cards have no additional wiring or whatever, to install you just plug them in. You will need to install the drivers you get on a disk with the card though.

SLAYER 21:25 29 Jun 06

do I need a slap.do folks stil have 64mb Geforce 4 MX440, ah the memories.Sorry.

SG Atlantis® 21:30 29 Jun 06

I don't remember those cards...

loosen a wee screw at the side, pull out the old one. Push the next one in and ensure it's secure fasten the screw and install the drivers of the cd.

That's it.

Good luck with that and the job hunt.

Longhouse 21:33 29 Jun 06

The Radeon 9250 8x AGP should be backwards compatible with the AGP V2 4x slot and looking at the system requirements for the games you mention there should be no problems.

However, the site link below does a comparison on the chipset specs and there appears to be little benefit in changing the card other than the increased memory size (which surprises me as I thought the MX440 was a generation or two older, and the comparable Nvidia was the 5200 / 5600!)

click here

I have similar spec machines running (AMD 2500+ barton with Asus ATI 9200 on Asus MoBO and AMD 2500+ barton with Asrock MoBo with the Saphire ATI 9200) the sapphire / Asrock is the faster & smoother machine.

If I were to choose between the two cards, I'd go for the Sapphire

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…