Need to upgrade processor

barnacarry 18:45 25 Aug 04

I have a 3 year old Time computer which has, apparently, an old fashioned 800 mhz AMD processor, about the size of 2 cigarette packets which cannot be removed to upgrade. Why can't I just snip the wires and solder on another one? ps. You can see I'm a novice.

Totally-braindead 19:00 25 Aug 04

Even if you were an expert with a soldering iron you wouldn't be able to do it and I assume you're not. The processors have been changing the architecture and design about once a year and they wouldn't be designed for this board so even if you got it out, which I doubt is possible, a new one wouldn't fit and even if it did it wouldn't work. I'm afraid you need a new board, memory and processor and depending on the power supply you'd need a new one as well. If the computer isn't fast enough and you really want a faster one you'd better off buying a new one I'm afraid.

barnacarry 19:07 25 Aug 04

Thanks Totally-braindead, That was a bit tongue in cheek from me but I thought there might just be a way around it. Never mind, I'll have to get a new tower unit. ps. I seem to have made 2 postings here, so, apologies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now