Need to turn off ATI Rage IIC Video Chip

SolvaCollective 17:34 07 Jan 03
  SolvaCollective 17:34 07 Jan 03

Hi I have just bought a graphics card but I am unable to use it as I cant turn of the ATI Rage IIC chip built into the system I have a Dell optiplex pc with Windows 98 SE. I have tried to do it in the bios but I cant see where i can do it in their. PLEASE HELP!!

BRYNIT 18:01 07 Jan 03

Check motherbaord manual their may be a jumper on the motherboard.

Elrond 18:27 07 Jan 03

Have you been into the BIOS settings. If not go in there then select peripherals or similar. Then disable onboard video.

SolvaCollective 18:30 07 Jan 03

I have no motherboard manual. And I have been into the bios and theirs nowhere that says peripherals or anything like that relating to video

SolvaCollective 18:32 07 Jan 03

I have no motherboard manual. And I have been into the bios and theirs nowhere that says peripherals or anything like that relating to video

torver 18:39 07 Jan 03

are you accessing the bios with the del key (or whichever key it tells you to press)as soon as the pc is switched on? when you get the setup screen try going through all the sections of the bios/setup and scrolling down the columns until you find "onboard vga" or "graphics" or suchlike and then disable it. if it really is an onboard graphics chip then it will be there, somewhere

Elrond 18:40 07 Jan 03

Have you been through every screen in the BIOS checking for something like onboard video? If your MOBO has it then it shud certainly be in the BIOS.

Otherwise can you boot up with the monitor being connected to the new card? If so when you get into windows, try geting into device manager by right clicking My Computer and selecting properties. Then clik display adapters and if the chip shows there disable it.

SolvaCollective 18:55 07 Jan 03

Yep I literally have been through the whole bios and theirs no video options apart from Video Snoop. And when I have disabled the video adapter in device manager and put in the card Windows doesnt boot up fully as just before it opens I get a message saying no mouse detected. But when the card isnt in the mouse works fine.

SolvaCollective 19:43 07 Jan 03

Any other takers on this problem?

Zoneclone 20:42 07 Jan 03

Jumpers on the mobo have to be disabled on most early Dell's open case and look for mobo ID and all will be printed on the board somewhere but best to type in the board No in search or let me know model number etc and will find the info for you ( try Belarc )

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…