Need to take copy/back up of Operating sys on new

Stressed Mum 14:59 30 Aug 10

Just bought the kids new laptops with Windows 7 already installed. How do I take a DVD copy of the operating system in case of need?

lotvic 15:03 30 Aug 10

What make and model?
Did you get OS or recovery DVDs with it?
There should be an option to make DVD, depends on make and model as to how this is accessed.
There should/may be a hidden restore partition.

More details needed before anyone can advise.

Stressed Mum 15:07 30 Aug 10

ok - they are both HP G62-A16SA. I was told just a normal DVD would be ok - and that it was simple to do with 2 discs needed - but I can't work may way around this Windows 7 very well!

Stressed Mum 15:14 30 Aug 10

oh - an no - did not receive any OS or recovery DVDs with them.

Stressed Mum 15:17 30 Aug 10

ahh - I have found this - Create a System image using 1 or more DVDs - is this what I need - will this copy the operating system?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:27 30 Aug 10
  lotvic 15:35 30 Aug 10

from Fruit Bat /\0/\'s link I notice it says:
"You will not be able to create another set, so if you lose or damage these disks, you’ll need to contact HP for a replacement."

so if it were me I would then save an .iso of the disks on another pc's harddrive so that I could burn new ones in the future.

Stressed Mum 15:38 30 Aug 10

ok - got that advice thank you. Looked at the link that FruitBat (hi!) sent - but I do not have the options listed there - so shall I go with this Create system image? or Create a system repair disc? Not sure now.. }:

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:41 30 Aug 10

Also worth buying this click here Acronis.

you are allowed to use it on 3 machines.

Make your HP recovery DVDs

then get rid of all the trial software you do not need (bloatware)
1. Install the protection software of your choice, for windows 7 I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials Malwarebytes and spywarebalaster.
2. setup your emails favourites etc. get the machines exactly how the kids want to use it.
3. Use Acronis to make an image of each machine and store that image safe.
4. Make a resuce CD for Acronis and store that with the images.

Now they are ready

Acronis can be set to make regular backs (mine is weekly) on to DVS or an external drive (Staples sell a 1TB drive for £54)
You can teach the kids to make back ups every time they do school or college work on the machine
Saves a lot of hassle and stress when an image can be restored in 15mins and lost work regained

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:43 30 Aug 10

Do both

Image disk first, repair disk if it will then let you.

Stressed Mum 15:44 30 Aug 10

Hi - I already have acronis which I use on my desktops - but just for now and for quickness - I need to get Windows 7 copied

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5