need Syetem32.exe file

EazyRobbo 23:46 03 Aug 03

Hi, I recently had a virus in my System32.exe file.
Norton could not fix the virus but could quarentine it and delete it so i am now virus free, but now i have no system32.exe file and my computer is asking for it after it boots up, to date everything seems to be running normally, do i need to replace this file, if so how do i go about doing that.

I am running xp, but i have no xp dick as it was installed on a new hd i bought and didnt come with disks

Thanx again for your help

VoG II 23:50 03 Aug 03

DieSsie already answered your question in your earlier thread.

MSCONFIG and disable any services that call for this file, which is the virus.

Gaz 25 11:07 04 Aug 03

is a virus file.

You do not need it.

Remove the entry from:

Start > Run > Type: MSCONFIG > click Ok > Delete system32.exe from startup tab.

EazyRobbo 16:04 04 Aug 03

hi thanx for your hepl, but what i think i havent explained is that i have deleted system32.exe and the virus is gone....

but the real system32 file is now needeed by windows on startup and i am being asked for it.

am i right in understanding that all computers have a system32.exe file?

Jester2K II 16:08 04 Aug 03

No- system32.exe is the virus. You now need to stop Windows from trying to run it on startup.

Start Menu, Run.. type msconfig, Start Up Tab, remove the tick next to the item calling system32.exe

Jester2K II 16:14 04 Aug 03

"i have deleted system32.exe and the virus is gone" - that is because system32.exe IS the virus.

Windows is now still trying to run or call it on startup because the virus has gone but the startup command hasn't. Remove this command as per Gaz25s instructions.

EazyRobbo 16:16 04 Aug 03

i dont know what is asking for system32!
there is no system 32 file in the start tab...i tried un ticking one that had system32 in the path but it just came bback when i rebooted

Jester2K II 16:20 04 Aug 03

Look again or try Autoruns thenclick here

Bascially something is calling the virus you deleted on start up.

You are looking for a file called system32.exe in the startup commands.

Don't just delete anything with system32 in it - there is a legitimate folder called system32 so you might end up deleting something legitimate.

Jester2K II 16:22 04 Aug 03

Also some viruses make multiple startups - you need to get them all

click here

click here

What was the virus called??

Jester2K II 16:27 04 Aug 03

In MSCONFIG look down the COMMAND colum to see which ones are ending in system32.exe. Untick those and make sure you Restart

EazyRobbo 17:09 04 Aug 03

thanx for your help and sorry if i sounded dumb but have never messed around with all this stuff before, but i am now a pro!!

I had to delete the file from my registry..

Thanx again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…