need some expert advice please

easyvibe 21:51 12 Aug 07

right heres my dilema got a grand to spend on a new pc. dont really fancy putting it together as i find it a bit daunting have been looking at the amd athlon 64 6000+ gaming systems on some sites and the cheapest ive seen is 850 all in but i was wondering wether peeps could reconmed me some sites in the uk to have a look at i just want the pc for video editing and burning but am looking in to getting in to the games side of it soon heres the spec Gold 8800
" AMD AM2 Athlon 64 Dual Core 6000+
" 4096MB DDR2 667 Memory Dual Channel
" 500GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)
" Gigabyte nVidia 590SLI Silent Technology Motherboard
" GF 8800 nVidia Graphics card PCI Express 16 Speed
" Pioneer Dual Layer Dual Format DVD Writer
" ANTEC P180 High END case SIL/BLK silent Technology
" All in One Card Reader
" 6 Channel 5.1 High Definition Sound
" Gigabit Network Card
" 10 x USB 2.0, 2 x Firewire
" 500W High End Low Noise PSU
many thanks and sorry for the long post

skidzy 22:07 12 Aug 07

Im not a gamer but the spec looks quite good.
However you have not mentioned the os,now Vista has its gaming knockers and they seem to prefer xp.

Make sure the psu is branded.

Personally if spending that amount of money,i would ring Novatech and ask them what they can do for you.

Novatech is a very reliable company with sound advice click here

Kate B 23:11 12 Aug 07

That PSU might be a bit weedy for that graphics card, especially if you plan to add a second card later on as I see your mobo supports SLI. And I think at present the Intel chips have the edge on the Athlons.

paul€ 23:16 12 Aug 07

Which operating system are you thinking of using? If you use a 32bit OS you may have problems in getting all 4Gb of memory to work. Some motherboards can handle it, some can not.

Use a 64bit OS and it will be fine.

For a gaming rig I would stick with the 6000+ and get a better PSU as Kate B has said.

Kate B 00:20 13 Aug 07

I definitely wouldn't go with a 64bit OS for gaming.

easyvibe 00:42 13 Aug 07

thanks peeps will check out novatech. if anyone thinks that the above specs need tweaking feel free to chuck a spanner in the works and op systems will be xp need this for my programs

Totally-braindead 00:44 13 Aug 07

Agree with Kate B, 64 bit will cause problems stick to 32 bit but paul€ raises a valid point about the 4 gig memory. I presume that if they are selling it with 4 gig though and windows preinstalled it can see and use it ok. I would check with them about this before purchase though.

I'm torn about the Vista or XP. If its new games then the Vista would probably be ok but if you want to play older games you might have some problems and might be better getting XP.

And get a decent monitor as well, theres no point getting a really good PC and getting a crap screen, after all you'll be staring at it for some time to come.

easyvibe 01:44 13 Aug 07

well got a 17" tft video seven , a 26 inch samsung hdtv with pc socket but it looks weird on there just been on novatech and must admit am struggling to kill my budget on there

Pine Man 09:30 13 Aug 07

Be very careful about the RAM. The advice above is good but not totally accurate.

32bit operating systems can ONLY recognise a MAXIMUM of 4GB of RAM and this MUST include any other RAM in your system ie on your graphics card etc.

This limit is NOTHING to do with motherboards and do not even consider getting involved in workarounds published on various sites, including microsofts, which involve enabling PAE. It might make your PC appear to be recognising your RAM but it is not utilising it efficiently.

The best amount to go for is 3GB installed as 2 x 1GB and 2 x 512MB in matched pairs.

Whitehart 13:57 13 Aug 07

Have a look at these click here

click here

click here

Totally-braindead 14:09 13 Aug 07

A Novatech one, slightly lower spec but it still has the decent graphics and is quite a bit cheaper £527.58 and add for an OEM copy of XP Home £63.50 Total £591.08. click here

Personally although I have been an AMD user for years now the Intel Dual Cores are to my mind at least better value. Look at this for example click here £539.33 and again a similar spec to the system you are looking at but with only 2 gig of memory. You could easily add another gig of memory if you wished later on I suppose but since you say you are staying with XP there is only a slight difference in performance between 2 gig and 4 gig in almost any use.

If you really want to spend £850 then how about this click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017