Need some capcitors. :(

Dorsai 19:51 12 May 07

Hi.
I have a slight problem.
My Asus A7M266-d mobo has just died.
About 4 days ago i noticed a slight "burning" smell in my PC room, but as it soon passed gave it no thought.
Stupid me.
Not long after (a day or so) i turned my second PC off for reasons that are not worth mentioning.
Today I tried to re boot it, and it would not boot. No beep. Nothing.

DOA.

Close inspection of the Mobo shows 4 blown capacitors, and a 5th about to pop. (POO!)
Is anyone able to point me in the direction of a supplier of capacitors so I can replace the blown ones before I go the the lengths of getting a new duel CPU mobo?

They say on them:
105oC (degrees centigrade)
H0228
HM(M)
3300UF 6.3v (3300 MicroFaradays 6.3Volts)

Web searched for capacitor suppliers lead me to suppliers of industrial capacitors. I am not trying to build a powerstation, so these results are no help.

Suggestions as to how to replace them are also welcome.

IS it worth trying?

TYVM in advance.

have not been here in a long while. Hello to anyone who remembers me.

Stuartli 19:57 12 May 07

CPC in Preston is a long established company (now part of the Farnell Group).

It supplies the trade and general public with all types of electrical and electronics spare parts, car parts, computer systems and components etc. See:

click here;jsessionid=CA4T5S415O103QFIAEXZK0Q?N=411+401&Ntk=gensearch_003&Ntt=Capacitors&Ntx=&_requestid=111509

for details of capacitors.

I've been dealing with it for about 30 years...:-)

Graham. 20:11 12 May 07

In sunny Sheffield click here

beeuuem 20:11 12 May 07

Would these do?
click here;jsessionid=MTBYEBAQDQJ51QFIAFOJLTQ?N=411+1000224+130042+124241&Ntk=gensearch_001&Ntt=3300&Ntx=&_requestid=119075
You'd need to 'phone them to see when they'll have stock.

Graham. 20:17 12 May 07

Or Maplins...

Dipso 21:32 12 May 07

I got some from Farnells in the past.

woodchip 21:39 12 May 07

If they are electrolictic they have to be soldered in, in the right polarity + to +

Totally-braindead 22:04 12 May 07

If you are good at electronics then it might be worth a try, Maplins would be my bet.
I have to say I'm not bad with a soldering iron but wouldn't attempt it myself I would either buy a new CPU motherboard combo or would get a really cheap board that would do me.

TOPCAT® 22:10 12 May 07

Hello - good to see you here again.

I would suggest you change all the suspect capacitors, if cost effective and possible, because others may be near to failing. As you probably know the 'tin-can' shaped capacitor should be flat at its base. Any sign of doming is a signal of pending failure. TC.

phono 22:21 12 May 07

You may find this of interest click here

€dstowe 06:28 13 May 07

A capacitor blowing is unusual. Having multiple capacitors blowing is extremely unusual and, assuming the capacitors were not all faulty (even less likely), it suggests there may be something severely amiss with the motherboard or the power supply unit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…