Need some advice on Using CD-RW's

tran1 19:37 19 Mar 03

Hi,

I just bought my first pack of CD-RW's. I went for a Packard Bell Brand for quality (I hope).

The problem is, I don't really know how to use them. I burned some of my work onto a disk last week and today, I wanted to add more to the disk as it wasn't full. I couldn't burn anything! It kept bringing up:

'Error copying file or folder: Cannot create or replace (file name): Access is denied.
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.'

The disk is not full, the files i'm trying to copy isn't in use and I don't remember putting any kind of write protection on.

The first time, I simply put the disk in the drive and dragged a folder of work onto it. Should I of prepared the disk or something before using it?

I can't even delete the old data. It says the files on the CD is read-only.

can Anyone offer some advice?

Thanks
John T

MAJ 19:40 19 Mar 03

From experience, my advice would be to dump the CD-RWs and use CD-Rs instead. I wouldn't trust any of my data to CD-RWs, they're just too unreliable, tran1. Seriously, mate.

« Ravin » 19:43 19 Mar 03

do you use windows xp ? the default cd writing software is quite good and fuss free. you should be ablr to erase your cds and use them again.

woodchip 19:45 19 Mar 03

It sounds a if you have Windows XP and are using the XP writing software. Is the cd that you put the files on a CDRW or a CDR disc. Also do you have any other software like Nero or Easy CD Creator

pj123 22:30 19 Mar 03

Read this previous thread click here

User-312386 22:46 19 Mar 03

as woodchip has said if you have XP just drag and drop the files into the cd-rw and then select copy to disc

XP makes it so simple

madboy33

Eagie 22:54 19 Mar 03

You'll probably have to erase/format the whole disk first rather than file by file. As standard CD-RWs do not let you drag and drop, though software like easy cd creator does have this facility.

And as for Maj's comments, I personally have never had a problem with a CD-RW and use them to back up regularly.

User-312386 23:02 19 Mar 03

Maj's comments are justified as cd-rw discs are unstable and with the cost of cd-r's being so cheap you may as well pay 10p for a cd-r than £1 for a cd-rw

its not a criticism just pointing out a fact :-)

madboy33

Cam-330894 23:05 19 Mar 03

Dont rely on dragging the files to the CD-RW. Instead start the packet writing software first and follow the wizard that is bound to start. A lot depends on the software that you are using.

Hope this helps

pj123 23:23 19 Mar 03

I agree with maj CD/RWs are unstable but I back up daily to two different CD/RWs which means if one fails I have another copy. I have not had a failure yet (touch wood). Although CDRs are cheap yesterdays CDR is todays coaster.

AudioVic' 00:00 20 Mar 03

CDrs are so cheap now, it just isn't worth the hassle of using cdrws.

Another problem occurs with them when you decide to change burnibg software. You need to install the previous UDF reader to read the discs.

You can do multi-session burning just as well and more reliably with CDrs.

In either case make sure you that when you burn a disc, that it is not set to "finalise cd" unless you have finished burning in multi-sessions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…