Need software to delay start up items?

buel 12:01 PM 07 Apr 12

Hi, My gf used to use Win Patrol to delay some start up programs but she has now uninstalled Win Patrol (for other reasons), please can i ask is there a program to delay start up items? And is there any Windows Vista programs that could be delayed? Thank you.

buel 12:06 PM 07 Apr 12

Hi, I have vista, not W7?

KRONOS the First 12:06 PM 07 Apr 12

This is pretty good as you can also delay programs. Soluto.

buel 10:28 AM 08 Apr 12

Thank you. Any opinions on 'Soluto'?

Ex plorer 13:34 PM 08 Apr 12
  buel 13:59 PM 08 Apr 12

Thanks, it looks good. My concern, though, is that my gf's laptop sometimes takes 9 minutes to get to desktop and sometimes 2 and a half minutes?

She runs SuperAntiSpyware, Avast, Malwarebytes scans regularly, even defrags and only has Avast ticked in Msconfig.....any ideas what the problem is or should i start a new thread?

KRONOS the First 15:10 PM 08 Apr 12

Well that is certainly a bit longer than my 25 seconds from power switch to desktop. I suppose the laptop has plenty of ram? Try Soluto as a lot of stuff starts that msconfig does not list.

How long has your GF had the laptop? perhaps it's time for a fresh install of Windows?

buel 15:41 PM 08 Apr 12

Thanks for that. She has had the laptop for four years. I've just addes 2gb of ram (and taken 1gb out) to make 4gb (Vista only 'sees' 3.5gb?)and done Soluto.

Im more confused by the vary between 2 and a half minutes and 9ish minutes?

robin_x 16:12 PM 08 Apr 12

Check the disk partitions for errors/bad sectors as well.

eg C: Properties > Tools. Might take an hour or so on reboot.

Select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors box too

buel 08:34 AM 09 Apr 12

Hi, Ok, i have done that and still a slow start up. However, please can someone give me their opinion on whether this is 'right'?

This is a snapshot of the task manager when it has been idle for over 15 minutes, i just dont see how there should be so much useage? The cpu useage is only 3% but you can see it has been much higher (I haven't run a single program in that time): http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/craigten/Graph.jpg

Here, i have opened some Google Chrome pages and a Windows Paint image and the usage seems high? http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/craigten/Openedpages.jpg

And here you will see that my gf is getting a message saying her D (recovery)drive is full/'low disk space' (when there is only 4mb showing if i go into the D drive and click properties on the 'recovery' data in there) Would this slow the laptop down? http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/craigten/Lowdiskspace.jpg

Also, there is now 4gb of ram in the laptop but the task manager shows '3038 physical memory'?

Please offer some comments on this, id love to get her laptop working better/quicker! Thank you

buel 13:23 PM 09 Apr 12

Bumpy Bump.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 release date, price, features UK: Free upgrade available July 29 with 10 years of free…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

Apple Pay UK launch guide and participating UK banks: HSBC, First Direct finally support Apple Pay