Need an SMTP server!

Gaz W 15:14 30 Jan 04

I have an email address, but in order to send email using it I need to provide my own SMTP server, i.e. that of my ISP. The problem is, I don't know what that is and the chances are they won't let me use it for any other email account than their own ones. I'm with Blue Yonder (Telewest) broadband.

I have also tried using Freeserve, which used to always work regardless of what connection you used or what email address you sent from, but it doesn't work.

Having searched for "free SMTP server" in Google several results appeared about using your own PC as the SMTP server. What security implications might this have? Does it sound like a good idea? Also, would I install it on my 2000 server (through which I connect to the net) rather than my other PCs separately?

vinnyo123 15:29 30 Jan 04

click here

Take a look here .i am pretty sure you miss understood them.They should provide mail servers.I don't think they want you to set up a server especially if they provided you with an address.

post back

Diodorus Siculus 15:32 30 Jan 04

You can use any email address and tell your mail client the BlueYonder smtp server.

I have a few diffrent accounts and have set up my mialer (Becky from click here ) to send from the ISP I am currently connected to, no matter what mail account I use.

I also use FirstSMTP Server from click here on occasion.

mgmcc 16:44 30 Jan 04

If connecting to the internet with Blueyonder, put smtp.blueyonder.co.uk into the outgoing mail settings, regardless of the email address you use and regardless of the POP3 server(s) you retrieve mail from.

Basic rule - use the SMTP server of the ISP you are connected to the internet with.

Gaz W 22:29 30 Jan 04

Thanks everyone for your help.

I'll need to find out my Blue Yonder user name and password before I can get it to work, so I'll tick this thread as Resolved for now.

Regards,

Gaz

Diodorus Siculus 22:36 30 Jan 04

Do you need a username / password for smtp settings? Most ISPs don't require this.

Gaz W 22:46 30 Jan 04

Maybe not, but if I don't provide something it will try to use the settings for incoming mail. I'll try leaving the fields blank and see what happens.

Gaz W 22:48 30 Jan 04

Just realised...

I've tried smtp.blueyonder.co.uk and got an error. It seems that Blue Yonder are the same as Freeserve, unless I'm doing something wrong.

Good thing I didn't tick the box!

Sheila-214876 23:45 30 Jan 04

I have a friend on Blueyonder. I will ring him tomorrow and find out the smtp address for you.

Chegs ® 00:09 31 Jan 04

Account: mail.outgoing co uk
221 2.0.0 smtp-out6.blueyonder.co.uk Service closing transmission channel

Sending e-mail failed. Maybe the SMTP server is not set up properly? E-mail queued.
250 2.0.0 Resetting

550 5 7 1 Unable to relay for xyz hotmail com

I just tried setting it to blueyonder.co.uk and got this.

Gaz W 01:53 31 Jan 04

I get a similar message when I try that. Tried smtp-out6. blueyonder .co.uk as shown in your last post but that doesn't work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…