Need to run two monitors on one compter?

mothercat 17:01 21 May 07

Hi,
I want to set up two monitors to watch two separate 'real time' stock charts on broadband but not sure what I need to do this. OK 17" screen no problem, its the other bits I'm not sure about.

I have seen a message saying it should mot be a problem unless I'm using an old computer system!! What is considered 'old' here? few hours? few weeks?

I'm not sure how old mine is but its a Dell Dimension 3000 Pentium4 2.8gh 1GB Ram and the existing graphic card is an Intel (R) 82865 G. With Microsoft XP. Perhaps all that makes sense to someone it's as clear as mud to me!
Would appreciate any assistance.
Kind regards
mothercat.

Totally-braindead 17:11 21 May 07

Its onboard graphics you have. The simplest method is to use a splitter but you can only show the same image on both screens. If you want to show different images you will need a seperate graphics card with 2 outputs and in order to get one you would need to find out if your computer has an AGP or a PCI Express slot. If you have neither you might be able to get a PCI card with two outputs but I'm unsure about that.

Totally-braindead 17:17 21 May 07

Found one click here fourth item down.

Technotiger 17:21 21 May 07

A small selection of dual monitor capable graphics cards.

click here

Totally-braindead 17:33 21 May 07

Had a look on the Dell website and according to what I have looked at you have neither an AGP slot or PCI Express. So if you do want to display 2 different things at the same time you need a PCI card like this click here. It has 2 outputs one VGA and one DVI, assumming both the displays you want to use are VGA you can buy an adaptor for about £5 to convert the DVI to VGA leaving you with 2 VGA outputs which you can connect to 2 VGA monitors which can display 2 different things at the same time. Heres an example of a DVI to VGA adaptor click here.
One thing though, there was someone a couple of months ago who bought a PCI graphics card to fit in a Dell and he couldn't get it to work, he eventually phoned Dell and they told him this particular computer would not accept a PCI graphics card. Now I've never heard of this before but would recommend that if you want to get the card that you contact Dell first and ask them if a PCI graphics card will work ok in your PC.
If it won't then you're stuck and the only suggestion I have is scrounge a suitable laptop of a mate and many of them can do dual display.

mothercat 17:35 21 May 07

Thanks Totally -Braindead,
the Rextron 2 Port Monitor Video Splitter seems to be just what I need. Paid a visit to PCWorld this morning but they had nothing, or perhaps did not know what I was talking about? (Mind I don't know myself most of the time) Anyway they had some decent 17" monitors for about £120 ish which would do for what I want it for.
So, thanks again,
Take care
Regards
mothercat.

mothercat 17:41 21 May 07

Ups,
better not dash out and buy that stuff until I speak to Dell. (It would not surprise me if I could not fit any extras to this machine! I have a few spare Hard Drives and thought I'd slot one in as an extra! No Place to fit it? but there you go, must not complain too much as its not let me down-so far!)
Regards
mothercat

Technotiger 18:12 21 May 07

I have a few spare Hard Drives and thought I'd slot one in as an extra! No Place to fit it? but there you go, must not complain too much as its not let me down-so far!)

Hi, you could utilise your spare hard drives by fitting them in External USB cases.

Technotiger 18:13 21 May 07
  Totally-braindead 18:22 21 May 07

It all depends whether you want to display the same thing on the 2 monitors or different things at the same time, if its different things then you need the graphics card, if its the same thing on each screen then just buy the VGA splitter and forget the graphics card completely.
I worked for a IT firm last year and they used the VGA splitter to display the same screen on one monitor for the person giving a lecture and connected the other output to a projector to display on a white wall, worked quite well I thought, but the one they used came from PC World, I think it was a Belkin one which are expensive and do give a lifetime guarantee but it cost £25! Ridiculous price.

mothercat 11:36 22 May 07

Yes, I need a different image (chart) on each screen so its the graphics card I guess, no problem. Never heard of those enclosures for hard drives, had a look and yes think I'll add one of those to the list.
Thanks again,
Regards
mothercat

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017