need to replace laptop dvd/cd drive. which one?

Superstylin 11:42 15 Sep 06

hi, as per previous thread click here
i need to source a new optical drive for my acer travelmate 4151LMi laptop but i have no idea where to start. the previous drive was a combination dvd/cd rw 'slimtype dvdrw sosw-833s' (possibly a lite on or sony) but i don't want to replace with the same drive because i've found a whole host of problems with the it.

De Marcus suggested click here
any other suggestions or at least info on what i should be looking for to ensure compatibility with my laptop?

thanks for any help

kestrel10 12:25 15 Sep 06

You would need to ensure that the new drive will fit OK. Some manufactures use none standard parts in laptops, so that you have to go back to them.
Have you thought of an external drive?
click here
If you think the NEC drive will work, it looks like a good deal though.

Superstylin 12:56 15 Sep 06

hi kestrel. the dimensions of the drive i have now are 128 width 12.7 height 126.1 depth. the nec is the same, bar the depth which is 129.

are these the only specs i need to take into consideration?

i did think of an external drive but having external peripherals makes a laptop less mobile. i don't really want to be carrying my laptop and the external drive around. thanks for the suggestion though.

woodchip 13:38 15 Sep 06

click here
Second review down

Superstylin 21:14 22 Sep 06

bought and fitted the suggested drive and very happy with it. thanks de marcus!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…