//some 3rd party need geo

Need to remove CPU from heat exchanger

Belatucadrus 11:12 21 Aug 04

I have encountered a problem while attempting to change the CPU cooler on a pentium 4 Medion Life PC. When I removed the old fan/cooler assembly the CPU came with it and is quite firmly stuck to the base with a very resilient somewhat waxy black thermal compound, so now I can't remove it in order to replace it in the motherboard.

Sensible suggestions as to how to remove it without damaging it please

Big Elf 11:33 21 Aug 04

I've never tried this but how about a sharp, thin bladed knife?

johnsims 11:34 21 Aug 04

This is for Arctic Silver thermal compound, but the instructions apply to all.
click here

I would have thought a drop if isopropyl alcohol would loosen the adhesive, ehough to begin to lift an edge, then apply a drop more and so on til you can separate the heatsink from the CPU.

Another place to go would be the manufacturer of the PC - their website may have specific instructions.

johnsims 11:35 21 Aug 04

A big NO to the knife, too much risk of damage to the CPU.

Belatucadrus 11:58 21 Aug 04

Problem solved, I warmed it gently and applied a little pressure to the chip, which finally came off. I'm now of to PCW to get some compound so I can put it all back together.

The new fan doesn't fit in the existing mounting, but that's another story. Still today can only get better.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…