Need to purchase basic laptop for elderly parent

Livingstone 13:22 20 Mar 10

I need to purchase a laptop for my elderly mum to be used just for emails and internet acces so do not want overload of technology - recommendations much appreciated, thanks

birdface 13:47 20 Mar 10

Elderly.
You are better using an external mouse unless you think she is capable of using one with a touchpad.

oldbeefer3 13:52 20 Mar 10

From personal experience, I would say a PC would be better (if there's enough room). Laptop keyboards can be a bit small and, as buteman says, touchpads are not as easily used by the more senior. Whichever you decide to go for, though, the cheap end would be more than adequate these days. I would suggest a check of the local libraries, colleges - some of them do a basic intro for those of more senior status who have not used them before - takes the fear out of it.

james105051 13:56 20 Mar 10

Something here perhaps click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:17 20 Mar 10

"just for emails and internet access"

So your going to need a broad band connection as well then.

Any old machine will do for emails and browsing ask around and you can probably get one for free as people upgrade.

ben1979 14:41 20 Mar 10

if its just for emailing and basic internet why not an iphone or somthing of that kind ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:51 20 Mar 10

I think an Iphone is an expensive way of doing that
some disadvatages:
screen size too small, touch screen not so easy for us oldies, large cost.

An old PC and approx £20 a month broadband connection is a much cheaper and easier option. :0)

amonra 15:09 20 Mar 10

Try the local "freecycle" website in your area. As fruitbat said earlier, there are lots of older PCs being given away free, and she wont need the latest up-to-the-minute model for basic working. One request on the site should evoke a response.

birdface 15:21 20 Mar 10

have a look on Amazon and E-Buyer I believe you can get free delivery from both.

Technotiger 15:26 20 Mar 10

As already stated, try ... click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…