Need printer for elderly laptop

Jon Storm 10:28 11 Feb 09

My elderly father's parallel printer died recently, and it's proving difficult to find a suitable replacement. The problem is that no-one sells parallel printers any more, it's all USB or Ethernet. You can buy a cable to plug a USB computer into a printer that only has a parallel port, but not the other way around, which is what I need.

His elderly laptop runs Windows 98SE and has one, yes a whole one, USB port, which doesn't seem to like talking to USB printers. It would much rather print through its parallel port. Does anyone know if there are any printers with a parallel interface still on the market anywhere?

If I can't find him something soon, I might have to just buy him a brand new laptop and a printer to go with it. Which wouldn't be desperately expensive, but is far more than he needs. And would create more problems, as the only medium the elderly laptop can write to is floppy disks oh good grief...

recap 11:31 11 Feb 09

click here it may help?

pk46 11:19 12 Feb 09

I would buy a new laptop W98 has been unsupported since 2006 and is wide open on the web most hardware and software released today won't work on W98 WINDOWS ME even W2000 is getting harder to find software to work on it.

Jon Storm 15:51 12 Feb 09

So then the question is Windows XP, or Vista? I think in the long run Vista will be another white elephant like ME, but right now it's what they want to sell you.

Kingfisher 10:40 14 Feb 09

Hi Jon Storm, I have an epson stylus r600 parallel port printer which will work on win 98se also a Canon bubblejet printer modek BJC4200, also parallel port, book says this will work on win 95 so not sure if it will work on win 98se you might be able to research it and see if it will work, both printers have manuals leads drivers etc, you are welcome to both free of charge if any use to you, I live in Essex email me via the envelope if you are interested
best regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…