Need a PHP and MySQL programmer

wiz33 13:31 08 Jul 04

I have live and running the following site:
click here

I would like to add e-commerse and offer the facility to clients to book live on the site.

I need somebody to create the code in PHP and MySQL, which my IP offers.

Does anybody knows where I can find a programmer to do that for me? I think in the past I have seen some lists posted by the FE.....I can't find it now.

Taran 14:23 08 Jul 04

Having a bespoke e-commerce system written from the ground up would be terribly expensive and I'd avoid that as a possible solution like the plague. It will also be completely unnecessary since there are so many mature and readily available systems.

There are a great many methods of processing e-commerce transactions and without knowing the scope of your intended operation it is impossible to suggest one method or product over another.

Speak with your bank and your web host first. Many banks have off the peg systems and web hosts sometimes offer one or more options for trading online as well.

Some people report success with the NOCHEXS system, but I can't recommend it as ideal unless I have an idea of what it is you want to trade in.

Take a look at the UK Web Design Association site click here

It is searchable by location and you should be able to find a local web designer who will be able to help.

Failing that, provide some more detail and we may be able to nudge you in the right direction.

wiz33 15:19 08 Jul 04

Taran

In the past you gave me a very good advise regarding my site;
I checked the Web design association site and made several call, but I have not come accross to anybody yet.

As you can see in my site there are several HOTELS and other accommodation in various destinations. In all these Hotels and apartments we have our own allocations. We also have our own flights to these destinations.

What we need is a search engine, to search for flight and accommodation availability and present the results including the SELLING price.

Once the client want to book they will be able to fill th ebooking form, pay by Credit card and then finally print its own documents, like INVOCE, Itinerary, tickets and various vouchers.

To get an idea please check the following site. at this site they only sell flight but our site has to have the accommodation element too: click here

I know it looks like a bespoke program but I expect that they will be around some programs, which will be easy to modify.

Gaz 25 16:13 08 Jul 04

Use OsCommerce. A free website that offers download for a shopping cart system.

Works wonders for me.

Taran 16:42 08 Jul 04

osCommerce may not be the ticket here and I can start to see why wiz33 is considering a bespoke system.

I can't think of an off the peg product that does what you want it to do.

The good news is that if what you say covers the majority of your requirements, it need not be a terribly complicated system. That will keep the cost comparatively lower than it might otherwise have been. I had visions of you having to hook into other travel agents, airports, hotels and all kinds of other nightmarish tasks.

To summarise you need database of flight and accommodation details with a search and booking system that can process financial transactions. Is that more or less the meat of it ?

wiz33 16:56 08 Jul 04

Gaz 25
Taran had suggested the Oscommerce along time ago but that does not apply in my case. The os commerce works easy when you have a catalogue of products to sell at a specific price.

Taran said:
To summarise you need a database of flight(s) and accommodation details with a search and booking system that can process financial transactions. Is that more or less the meat of it ?

YES THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I NEED TO HAVE.

The accommodation is not going to be large. It will have between 30-50 Hotels or apartments max.

Flights will be about the same number.

Of course the system will have to go through, to the final stage of clearing payment and confirming back to client by e-mail.

At the moment I am checking with Thomsons, if we can interface to their site for checking flights and capturing the data for my site.

Thanks all of you for any advice

wiz33 17:34 08 Jul 04

Phil in another posting suggested this free package.

I am not 100% sure but I think that is what I really need with a bit of modification: click here

On the same page on the right there is a link for Luxury travel. Test it .......nearly to what I would like to have.

What do you think?

Forum Editor 19:17 08 Jul 04

makes extensive use of ASP, which is a technology that enables you to use various combinations of HTML, scripting, and calls to server-side components.

It's a big subject - too big to deal with in any real sense in this forum. If you want to use ASP on your site you're going to need professional help, unless you are prepared to embark on a pretty steep learning curve to get up to speed with the various skills involved.

What puzzles me is how you plan to enable online flight reservations without accessing the ticketing systems such as Galileo or Amadeus? If you already have ticket allocations, and simply want to sell from those it gets easier - you could work from a server-side database. The same thing would apply if you have allocated accommodation quotas.

I've worked on projects like this for travel companies in Australia, so feel free to ask more specific questions, but I think Taran's summary of your requirements is probably correct, and you could do this with scripts and databases.

wiz33 19:52 08 Jul 04

You said:
What puzzles me is how you plan to enable online flight reservations without accessing the ticketing systems such as Galileo or Amadeus?
I DON'T NEED TO CONNECT AND BOOK WITH GALILEO OR AMADEUS AS i HAVE MY OWN ALLOCATIONS.

You said also:
If you already have ticket allocations, and simply want to sell from those it gets easier - you could work from a server-side database. The same thing would apply if you have allocated accommodation quotas.

Yes I have my own allocations which i want to sell and all I am looking to do is A SERVER -SIDE DATA BASE.

I was refering to PHP and MySQL because my IP provider offers it as standard service.

My ENQUIRY FORM is PHP and works fine, by sending 3 E-mails, when a customer SUBMITS a form.
1 to us, 2 to the Hotel and 3 to the client.

No I don't have the time or the knowledge to create the Data base and the other necessary funtions, like administration, agents login, Invoice and Voucher production, and ticketing. The site has to do all that, and of course through secure lines to clear Credit Cards.

That is why I am looking for an expert.

It is going to be a bespoke system but not to the large extent as other reservation systems.

BTW I have a local reservations system, which I use for the past 10 years but the provider is asking for over 8K for the interface and implementation with my website, which is over the top for the size of my operation.

So I have to find a cheaper solution....if I am lucky.

Gaz 25 19:53 08 Jul 04

erm...

Then it is quite an expensive task then.

Taran 22:21 08 Jul 04

I'm not going to put a price tag on this since I'd be pretty stupid to do so without a full requirements analysis and project study but I would repeat that I don't feel (at first glance) that it necessarily equates to an overly expensive system.

Certainly, from your description anyway, if the elements of the system are known quantities (all flight information, all accommodation information and so on) then any developer could feasibly get you up and running with something workable in a very short time.

In fact I'd go so far as to say that by far the most complicated element would be in arranging and scripting the actual financial transfer, although I do have some concerns over how you will be getting your flight and accommodation details to begin with. If you have pre-booked slots (for want of a better description) will the cost of each holiday ever be fluid or will it always be fixed and will you know well in advance of any change(s) ?

These are the sorts of things any web programmer will need to know. Any fool can create a data driven site with a 'stock' of flights and accommodation, but if the information is ever likely to change on a regular basis, or any one of many other factors for actual use of such a system come into play this needs to be addressed before and not after the event. You will also obviously need an admin section where you can amend and alter the information or input it to begin with.

As FE says this is a very large subject and not one where any one of us could hope to offer a working solution without a full understanding of your exact requirements.

I'm happy to help if and when I can but I feel that this is beyond the scope of the forum and you would be best off dealing with a competent web developer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…