Need an opinion .. badly..

Shini' 21:55 08 Jun 10

Ok, so my old laptop is now K.I.A.; insurance may grant us (the family) 700 pounds to buy a new one. So I wonder, anyone have any good ideas?

So far I've found one good find:

click here

But it's AMD, as every computer geek knows (me) a warning sign not to buy for any laptop these days. Does anyone have an opinion on this, or a laptop just as good, under 700 pounds, with an Intel processor for example?

Shini' 21:57 08 Jun 10

Also, 15" please, nothing smaller, nothing larger. lol

john bunyan 22:07 08 Jun 10

See here for a similar enquiry with my short list.
click here

Shini' 22:13 08 Jun 10

Thanks for the options but I don't think I could take either. The first one, the Toshiba, seems okay to me and the intergrated webcam is nice but at 0.3mpxl I'm not sure if that's really all that good, maybe I'm wrong and for a laptop that's awesome but hey. I've kept it favorited just incase but as I'm 16 and have a 10 year old brother I don't think the graphics card would hand many games would it? As for the second, I couldn't even find it let alone find it's spec's. Sorry. If you could link me?

ella33 22:17 08 Jun 10

Personally love HP, I have Pavillion, very reliable. I paid £700 for it, new all set up, in 2006 when I couldn't have set it up myself. Unsure of basic cost now. Just an opinion.

Shini' 22:19 08 Jun 10

I love it, every part of it seems perfect for what I want it for. It's just the AMD processor is a bit of a bummer. I'm not sure if I should risk it, or ditch the idea completely. I've heard from a few people and from general knowledge that AMD is not very reliable and the laptop's operating system will quickly degrade to a slow working, useless laptop.

john bunyan 22:20 08 Jun 10

I am not a gamer and my repair guy likes Asus and Toshiba, hence my short list - also I do not use a webcam at he moment..I use a desktop for photos etc that has a better video card.
Here is a link to the Sony.
click here

Shini' 22:24 08 Jun 10

Thanks for the input, I think I will most likely pick one of these two if nothing else shows up as a better option. Only downside I have is the limited gaming. Thanks anyway.

I am Spartacus 00:44 09 Jun 10

'I've heard from a few people and from general knowledge that AMD is not very reliable and the laptop's operating system will quickly degrade to a slow working, useless laptop.'

You've heard wrong. Although I prefer Intel at the moment I wouldn't rule out AMD if the price and other features were right.

Why would the OS degrade compared to an Intel CPU laptop?

Strawballs 04:01 09 Jun 10

My current laptop Acer Aspire has dual core AMD no problem at all

john bunyan 11:18 09 Jun 10

Too late - I clicked on link and , maybe by coincidence, had a problem with e mail - did full check in safe mode with MAB and SAS. Seems ok now. There seems to be a few of these crafty spammers about recently on the forums.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…