Need a new wifi router

vdovaulthack 02:07 24 Aug 14

Hi

I need a new wifi router. Below are my needs.

1. My house has many concrete walls and my previous router could hardly give connectivity out of 1-2 rooms. Its a 1400 sqft apartment.

2. It should be dual band. I am not sure whats the advantage of dual band but just to keep with new trend.

3. I am not sure if external antenna helps.

4. I read that there is a new technology dd-wrt which is helpful to increase wifi speed. Router should support it.

5. It should work from chrome cast and other casting devices.

6. Should allow any number of devices to connect at a time (at least 5-6).

7. My net connection has a speed of 50mps.

vdovaulthack 02:11 24 Aug 14

Just to add - my budget is 20-40 :-). I am ok with refurb product. I don't need very high end.

onthelimit1 08:46 24 Aug 14

No router will be able to transmit through several thick walls. Your best bet may be to use wifi home plugs to extend to weal areas. All will connect to Chromecast. All will allow that number of devices to connect (but speed will reduce the more that are downloading at the same time).

onthelimit1 08:48 24 Aug 14

Where's the edit button when you need it?! Weal = weak. The comments at the end refer to all ROUTERS, not all HOMEPLUGS (although the same things apply to them).

BT 08:57 24 Aug 14

If you do buy a new one I've found the TP-Link ones meet most of your technical needs, Dual Band etc

Jollyjohn 09:12 24 Aug 14

I have found Netgear to be good, easy to configure and quite robust. Mine has been on for about 4 years now with 4 computers, 2 smartphones and a laptop all connected.

vdovaulthack 18:00 24 Aug 14

can you plz provide the model numbers or online link. whats the advantage of dual band and dd-wrt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now