Need new CPU fan...advice please :-)

vaughan007 01:11 21 Jun 05

Hello all,

My CPU fan has definitely given up the ghost.

So I need to buy a new one...but I am not too sure which one to get!

My processor is a P4 3.2 Ghz with HT technology.
Socket 478 according to 3DMark03.

So can someone tell me which fan I need?

As I play a lot of games and I think the CPU is often under a fair amount of strain I am prepared to pay a little more than the standard fan would cost.

Cheers.

Diemmess 08:44 21 Jun 05

How about this?
click here

No personal experience but.....

howard60 09:16 21 Jun 05

I would check with the intel site for what fan they recommend. Then open the case and look at the fan note size, fixings etc. Possibly remove it and go to a computer fair or pc world and look at what is on offer and if it is the same fixings etc. They should state what chip they are made for.

Stuartli 11:13 21 Jun 05

The CoolerMaster range is well renowned for quality fans and heatsinks (have one on my Pentium III right now) and you can get them from as little as £1.99 plus p and p on a Buy Now! basis from e-Bay for the type for earlier CPUs - even the latest models are not excessively priced. These and other brands at:

click here

Check out post and packaging costs - it's not expensive to send a heatsink and fan and some charges are excessive.

From the same website as suggested by Diemmess there's the Alasa range:

click here

TonyAA 13:03 21 Jun 05

Good choice of nice quiet efficient ones here for Pentium 4 socket 478 click here .Hope you've not fried your processor as it takes virtually seconds for them to overheat and burn out when the fan stops.

Stuartli 13:12 21 Jun 05

You should be able to set the Bios to shut the system down or take necessary action if a certain temperature is reached in the case.

Mine is set to come into action one step below the maximum permissable temperature for my PentiumIII - in actual fact the efficient case cooling means temperatures are less than half the maximum level for the CPU.

Both Intel and AMD list maximum permissable temperatures for their individual processers on their websites.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…