Need a new CD/DVD writer

Trikie 09:20 20 Jul 06

Can anyone recommend a good quality medium price writer. I'm not technical so would a plug in one be better for me?

Diodorus Siculus 09:24 20 Jul 06

It's actually very easy to install an internal one, particularly if you are replacing one that you already have.

Do you have a standard PC? If so,

Pioneer DVR-111 - PC Advisor
click here

LG GSA-H10N - PC Advisor
click here

Either of these will be great.

Trikie 16:38 20 Jul 06

Thanks.Computer whizz grandson suggests I also get a read-only DVD which will let me view DVDs on the PC and also copy photos and music between CDs without the 2 stage copy to the hard disk.

If he is right what is a good DVD reader?

jimv7 16:50 20 Jul 06
  Smiler 17:45 20 Jul 06

I would say your grandson is wrong as a dvd rom would only let you read dvds and cds no writing at all.
Copying on the fly as he suggests requires a very fast read machine and it would need to be on a different ata cable to the write machine.
As you're only talking about a few minutes to copy a dvd to hard disc before writing to the dvd disc is it worth the expense of buying a writer & a reader

GaT7 17:48 20 Jul 06

I purchased one of those Pioneer DVR-111D's from SVP (jimv7's link) recently for £19.99 (on offer). Very good drive & excellent service from SVP.

Also took advantage of their 99p delivery by ordering something inexpensive from click here, & choosing Economy Courier at checkout. Ordering from that section actually took the price 39p lower than the drive+delivery would have cost on its own! (The item was click here, but there are other items, like the blank DVD media, you may be more interested in).

Apparently these drives can be flashed (firmware update) to a slightly higher spec - DVR-111L (to get LabelFlash capability click here, amongst 1 or 2 other things), but best AVOIDED if you don't need the upgrade, or think you may mess up the flash process. G

GaT7 17:53 20 Jul 06

Sorry, the LabelFlash link should have been click here. G

GaT7 17:56 20 Jul 06

Simpler explanation of LabelFlash click here. G

SANTOS7 17:58 20 Jul 06

to put Crossbow7s suggestion into perspective if you do it wrong (FLASH) it is not reversable and renders your hardware useless, there is no need to flash anything, for the sake of saving seconds its never worth it...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…