need more USB ports - advice please

turkeylurkey 19:21 16 Jun 03

My PC has 2 USB ports, but I currently need 5 so I want to by some sort of internal USB hub. Looking through previous posts has answered most of my questions but I still have a couple:

Is it a hub or a PCI card that I need? Is either likely to be difficult to install? (I have upgraded RAM and a SCSI port before, so I have some idea of what to do)

What is the difference between USB 1.1 and 2? If I get one for USB 2 will my old USB peripherals still work?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

hugh-265156 19:30 16 Jun 03

a hub will just plug into a usb port so you will lose the use of that one.but its removeable.

pci card will be no harder to install than a graphics card.

usb 2 will work with your older devices but at usb 1 speed.and your mobo will probally only support usb 1 anyway.

bremner 19:30 16 Jun 03

If you have a spare PCI slot then that would be a convienient way to install additional USB slots.
click here
USB2 is backward compatable to USB1 so all your peripherals will work

woodchip 19:48 16 Jun 03

As bremner it's the easy way, if you have spare slots

woodchip 19:51 16 Jun 03

PS sometime there are extra USB header pins on the Motherboard So that you can buy a Bracket with usb and plug on to headers but can be fiddly

turkeylurkey 19:52 16 Jun 03

if I have a spare PCI slot without opening the PC?? Is there a way to do that?

hugh-265156 19:55 16 Jun 03

use this click here

its quicker just taking the side of though and having a look.

turkeylurkey 20:01 16 Jun 03

for your help :)

playmofire 20:09 16 Jun 03

I have just added two usb slots to my Toshiba notebook via a Belkin Hi-speed USB notebook card. This just slots into an external Type 111 PC Card slot and costs about £50. Works a treat, too.

-pops- 06:16 17 Jun 03

If you are wanting these extra ports in a desktop (rather than a laptop like playmofire) you can get a multi port USB 2 PCI cards from click here much cheaper than £50

Look under I/O cards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…