Need more space on HD Drive C:\

caradoc 09:49 22 Aug 03

I recently installed Windows XP Prof onto my computer. The original OS was Win 98SE. Unfortunately I only partitioned my C: drive to 2GB as that was ample for Win 98 SE. Now I realise the drive should have been larger - cannot get any more updates on it.
Would like some advice as to how I can get more space on the C: drive - have plenty of space on D: and E:. I have thought of buying another HD, making the drive areas
larger and then transferring all my present HD details onto it. BUT, is there some other way of increasing space on Drive C:?
Would welcome comments - simple please as I'm far from being "streetwise" on computers.

DieSse 09:54 22 Aug 03

You need a program such as Partition Magic - this allow you to adjust partition sizes without a complete re-install.

If you've upgraded from Win98 to XP without a complete re-install, the a good (takes time though) route may be to bite the bullet and do a complete re-setup using XP.

Needs everything backed up - then from the XP CD you can re-adjust your partions, reformat to NTFS and re-install. This will have a lot of side-benefits, such as the clearing out of old rubbish that accumulates in OSs.

seedie 09:56 22 Aug 03

By coincidence I did mine last night. Get yourself a copy of Partition Magic. It's great and relable. As always, it's important to read what it says on your screen.

seedie 09:56 22 Aug 03

By coincidence I did mine last night. Get yourself a copy of Partition Magic. It's great and relable. As always, it's important to read what it says on your screen.

Ben Avery 10:08 22 Aug 03

not to mention the lovely talkthrough PM provides!

A nice American lady who explains the whole process in Layman's terms (...even easy enough for me to understand!)

:o)

BA

pj123 10:08 22 Aug 03

You can also try Ranish (free) partition manager from click here

caradoc 13:17 22 Aug 03

Thanks a million for your input and solving my problem.

Caradoc

tbh72 15:05 22 Aug 03

Caradoc, I don't think anyone has mentioned about HOW best to install software / utilities onto your computer.

You say that you have ample free space on drives D & E. Can I assume therefor that your software eg Microsoft Office or Works, CD burning software etc are all installed on the C drive.

You could uninstall your program files from the C drive & install them on the D drive. This would free up suffiecient space & would also allow better organisation of your files on your HDD.

Just a thought!! Post back if you want to talk about this option further.

Regards
T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…