Need More SATA Power Connectors - How?

johndrew 10:17 19 May 06

Having had a lot of help already, I need more.

My PSU has 2 SATA HDD power connectors - the flat ones with 3.3, 5 & 12VDC supplies. I already have two SATA drives in the case but need to fit another to clone and keep updated my C: & D: partitions which are on one drive (the other is used for my video and is quite full).

I now have my new drive, copy of True Image and data cable but no power connector. I could keep opening the case and swapping it but I feel that may do damage long term. I have looked on the web and found this click here but it doesn`t have any 3.3VDC supply.

Do I need the 3.3 VDC supply?
If not what facility will I lose on the drive?
Is there such a thing as a `Y` connector for SATA as there is for Molex?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Catastrophe 10:24 19 May 06

I recently broke a SATA power connector (Y-type) and obtained a replacement quickly and very inexpensively from eBay. That is Y standard power to 2 SATA.

:)

ed-0 10:28 19 May 06

if you have any spare 4 pin connectors. This may be usefull? click here

Catastrophe 10:30 19 May 06

Here is one:

click here

I only paid £0.99 plus £0.75 postage.

Google:
SATA power

You will also find single cables and variations.

Smiler 10:33 19 May 06

I use one of those and have not lost any functionality

gudgulf 10:42 19 May 06

Also have a close look at the back of the SATA drives........some of them will accept both the SATA and standard Molex connectors.

I have two drives in my pc...one only takes the SATA power connector the other (newer) drive takes both.

Worth a look...it might save you sending off for a new splitter cable.

johndrew 10:55 19 May 06

gudgulf
It is a Western Digital WD2500KS which has the SATA power and data connectors on the left (viewed on the end as if installed), to the right if that is a blank hole, then a block of 8 pins, then what looks like a Molex socket (4 pins with chamfers at the upper corners.

Does that sound right?

Any idea what the 3.3VDC supply is for?

Many thanks for all your responses I shall try to ensure I`m doing everything correctly - these drives are a bit pricey to me!! I shall also look on Google for any further information I can get.

gudgulf 11:22 19 May 06

Yes the four pin connector sounds like it is a molex connector......tht's the same configuration as the back of my drive that takes both (mine is a Maxtor).

If a molex connector fits......and it should,you can use that.

If the drive is fitted with a Molex socket you wont lose any functionality by using it.

click here

Lots of information about SATA....If you read the section on "Serial ATA Innovations" you will find the answer to your voltage question at the end of that.

johndrew 16:29 19 May 06

Thanks very much for the information/advice, it satisfies the practical side beautifully.

I now still need to satisfy my curiousity as to the exact function of the 3.3vdc supply. Wikipedia mentions it but fails to say exactly what it does. I have a feeling it may be something to do with hot-swapping but until I find some information that I understand (!!!) it will remain a mystery.

Googling the 3.3vdc supply in various ways has failed to reveal much and I am a bit loathe to spend money to buy papers unless I`m certain the answer is there.

I feel certain someone on this forum either knows the answer or where to get it easily; hopefully they will read this post.

gudgulf 18:23 19 May 06

click here

I think this might help.....It looks like the 5V and 3.3V supplies in the SATA connection are to ensure compatibility with the newer 3.3V processors and older 5V ones.

You might find the full article useful if you are interested.....its more technical than Wikipedia but still comprehensible to us mere mortals.

johndrew 20:26 19 May 06

That is a very interesting article and written so that even I understand it.

From what it says we shall - in the future - find a difficulty with drives and processors as the newer and less tolerant versions of faster processors reduce voltage to stay cool. Could be a case here to ensure that any drives purchased will meet the lower operating voltages as well.

Question now is how long `til we all need to migrate to lower voltage drives!!

As a point of interest, I looked at dozens of sites and found nothing like this. I think I need a course in creative browsing!!

Thanks very much for your help and persistence.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5