Need more than one HDD

bumpkin 14:44 02 Nov 14
Answered

Hi, I am trying to fix up an old desktop which needs at least 2 HDDs for the purpose I want to use it (cctv). Ideally I would like it dual boot XP and W7 and a third drive just to record to. I have XP pro on one drive and W7 on another both of which work fine if the only drive connected but if I connect both of them then it won't boot up saying insert proper boot media.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:02 02 Nov 14

Are these ide drives? if so you need to set one as master and one as slave.

bumpkin 15:17 02 Nov 14

Yes they are, I think that they are cable select but need to take them out to check, that could well be the issue.

bumpkin 15:32 02 Nov 14

Hi again, the one on the end connector W7 is set to "cable select"The other XP is set to "master with slave present".

bumpkin 16:55 02 Nov 14

Thanks Fruitbat. Sorted that bit, my fault, I took the drives from another PC where they were working OK and put them in this one without considering the jumpers. Now just need to fit the 3rd drive to record to. This PC also has SATA ports which don't seem to work, do I need to enable them somehow?

Jollyjohn 18:25 02 Nov 14

Look in BIOS to enable SATA

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:37 02 Nov 14
Answer

set the xp drive to master (and fix to end of cable)and the windows 7 drive to slave (middle of cable) and plug to IDE port 0

it will boot into XP.

to make it dual boot run the windows 7 DVD an do a startup repair it should then install the boot loader to C drive and give you the option to boot from either.

bumpkin 19:30 02 Nov 14

FruitBat and Jollyjohn, it is currently installing 163 updates for W7 so will look in the bios later to see if I can enable the SATA ports. I can always use another IDE drive if needs be but I think it is just a setting and I have a spare 250GB sata which I may as well put to use if I can. I had already set both jumpers to "cable select" before reading your reply FruitBat and it is now working fine and giving me the option of which O/S to boot from. thanks for your help, I will get there in the end but I am not the sharpest tool in the box:-))

bumpkin 21:56 02 Nov 14

Updating has finished now so looking in bios to enable the SATA ports but can't find anything relative.

bumpkin 22:38 02 Nov 14

Sorted it, thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017