in need of more disk spece

DrLector 20:50 09 Nov 07

hi
my pc has become painfully slow, im running on xp and have 108GB c drive but i only have 14GB of free space left. iv tryed to go thought add remove but im not shore about some of the programs on there ,i dont no what they are used for and dont wont to mess thing up, is there a way to free things up or see what i can get rid off , iv run defrag and other programs like ccleaner, but its not realy helping.

thanks for any help

paul€ 21:20 09 Nov 07

Reduce the size of system restore. If it is set at windows default, then it will be using around 12Gb of your hard drive space.

You can safely reduce this to 1Gb, giving you an extra 11Gb of space.

Do you know how to check and how to alter it?

Sheik Yerbouti 21:22 09 Nov 07

Is your C drive full of Films or music? Maybe turning off system restore might pull back some space.

Sheik Yerbouti 21:27 09 Nov 07

I've tried system restore twice in the last 2 years... both time it failed to help with the problem I needed to cure. Personally I now keep it off, just do a full reinstall if needs be... Lots of people here who will talk you through a reinstall of XP, very easy if you have your original disk and system drivers (This won't be a solution for everyone though)

DrLector 21:27 09 Nov 07

hi paul
how do i change the size of my system restore ?

rdave13 21:29 09 Nov 07

Suggest you go to start, all programs and go through your programs and uninstall those hardly used. Back-up all your music, films or videos on to CD's or DVD's (twice) and check they're ok. Remove any old programs not required after backup.
Get an external Harddrive and reinstall whatever you need there. Be careful though in case you delete something you'll regret later.

paul€ 21:51 09 Nov 07

Right click my computer> properties> system restore> highlight C> settings. then move the slider down to around 1000Mb ( 1Gb )and OK it.

Do you run CCleaner? click here this could clean out a lot of dross. un-tick the cookie tab if you want to keep your cookies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…