Need a modem/router which one??

ath007 01:46 23 Feb 06

The kids want me to buy a wireless modem router. We currently have broadband with talk talk but may change to another provider soon, possibly tiscali. Are therefore all modem/routers (adsl) compatible, or are there pitfalls? Are the router connections just to the phone line and power, or is there a lead from the router to the Base station pc?

keewaa 09:16 23 Feb 06

If it is an adsl broadband supplier (as opposed to cable NTL or Telewest), then an adsl wireless router is what you want (with built in adsl modem), I would recommend the Belkin F5D7632UK OR NETGEAR DG834G.

<<< is there a lead from the router to the Base station pc? >>>

Sounds like you are talking about internet connection Sharing which you DON'T use with a router. PCs/laptops link directly to the router either by ethernet cable or by wireless, the choice is yours.

mgmcc 09:17 23 Feb 06

A combined "Wireless Router/ADSL Modem" from any of the mainstream providers - Netgear, Belkin, Linksys, D-Link etc - should be fine with any ADSL providers other than AOL.

<<< Are the router connections just to the phone line and power, or is there a lead from the router to the Base station pc? >>>

Normally, the initial configuration of a router requires a "wired" ethernet connection from one PC. Once configured though, that cable can be disconnected and all computers can connect wirelessly.

Personally, unless a computer is being used away from the router, I would always use a wired connection in preference to a wireless one - faster, more secure and more stable.

Mit123 18:59 23 Feb 06

im using boardband through my set top box and i am using a router to have internet on 3 of my home computers (wireless) . im using Netgear which i find very easy to use and convient.

mr_gixerwig 16:42 24 Feb 06

Has anyone had any issues with talk talk, I have setup quite a few wireless networks but not with Talk Talk Broadband. I am using a belkin adsl modem/router which I have configured as per instructions on the talk talk website, also I have called automated helpline to check the iser name and password but I am still unable to connect. On the Home page of the router setup it shows that there is an ADSL connection but the Green Connected Status is not Higlighted in the top right corner.

Anybody have any ideas ?

kojirovn 22:14 06 Mar 06

My frd got problem like u and i think u should go to their shop to buy 1 of 2 items there:

Thomson [b]SpeedTouch[/b] 585
54M Wireless ADSL2+ Router

or

Thomson [b]SpeedTouch[/b] 716WL
ADSL2+ Wireless Router with Integrated VoIP

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5