Need to make xp faster

Jwbjnwolf 19:36 25 Oct 10
Answered

Has anyone got a magic wand to make my windows xp home on acer aspire one mini laptop?
I am aware of getting rid of amount of start up applications, disk defrag, and freeing up disk space by removing unused programs. I do not have a restore point on the laptop.
A few months ago it was running much faster then windows 7 on my 2gb ram laptop when had more on my acer aspire one and my aspire one only had 1gb.
Any ideas how I can Fasten it up.
Just to let you know I only have had it since 2/1/10 so it isn't even a year old(even know it seems like had it much longer.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:58 25 Oct 10

1. Software

a) Clear out all temporary files and folders -- use Crap Cleaner click here

b) Scan for malware spyware and viruses --Free Anti Spyware :-
Superantispyware click here
Malware removal tool click here

Free Antivirus software
MicroSoft Security Essentials click here
Avast4 click here
or
AVG antivirus click here

c) Clean the registry -- Use the tool in Crap Cleaner its very safe and also allows you to back up the registry first.

d) Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Right click MY Computer - select properties - Advanced tab - Performance -
advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a different drive (if you have one), click
custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory
= set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the
PC to crash (restart).

e) Cut down on the programs that load at start up -- Start - Run type msconfig - start up tab- untick everything
except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware

and the services that run in the background. click here

2. Hardware

a) Hard drives /

i) IDE Channels:
Check the transfer rate, you need to have the transfer mode set to DMA not PIO.
Right click My Computer - Properties - Hardware - Device Manager - Expand (click the + ) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers right click Primary Channel - Advanced Settings Tab -
If transfer Mode is PIO then follow the instructions at click here to change.

ii) Check for errors and defrag your hard drives -- My Computer - select drive - properties - tool tab - Error checking / Defragmentation.

ii) If you are using Windows XP or Vista, it's a good idea to convert your system drive to the NTFS file system if you have not already. In addition to providing numerous security and data recovery improvements over FAT32 (the file system of choice for Windows 9x/ME and XP Home) it can also speed up your system slightly.

In fact, the only real reason for sticking with the FAT32 file system for any of your data is if you have more than one operating system on your PC and the other OS's can only see FAT32 partitions (as would be the case with Windows 98, for example, which is incapable of reading NTFS data).

To convert your drives to NTFS:
Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage'
From the computer management window, expand storage and select 'disk management.'
Using the 'file system' column of the upper pane of this window, you can easily check what file system each of your logical drives is using. Make a note of this information.
Now open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd'
To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'
So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

b) Drivers
Obtain the newest drivers for your hardware
This may seem a bit obvious, but keeping your system's drivers up to date can give both your performance and stability a boost. Video card manufacturers release updates especially often, and these can often give "significant boosts" to gaming performance as video card in question is "optimized."

Don't neglect the other components of your system either. Your motherboard manufacturer may have released newer versions of its Input/output drivers for your board, and sound cards and other peripherals can also benefit from newer software.

c) Memory
Add more physical memory, this of course means opening the "box" and fitting a memory module, make sure you buy one that is suitable for your PC. Crucial .com click here will guide you through the process of slecting the correct memory. click here for a guide to fitting memory.

Jwbjnwolf 20:14 25 Oct 10

Thank you
My mum seems to of got it back to its best now but this will be handy to have
Thank you
Got avg free 2011 which is everything that we need except firewall which I've got zone-alarm for that.
something else need to know, is how can you tell the difference between trogon versions?(I mean those fake anti-virus's and stuff like that)
We now know it is a genuine one but my mum has scared me as she thought my avg was.
any ideas?

Jwbjnwolf 20:23 25 Oct 10

I have used ccleaner before and it is good if you understand it and the difference to add-remove programs in control panel where as I didn't so I thought of it as a waste if you don't understand the difference between them.

lotvic 21:08 25 Oct 10

Here is a handy A - Z list of Rogue programs
lavasoft Malware Lab Rogue Gallery click here
if you click on them you can see pic of what the screen would look like if you had installed it on your pc and underneath there is a list of the registry changes that are made. (Doesn't tell you how to get rid of rogue though does help you identify it)

Also click here for another list of the rogues

Remember that there will be other rogues that are not listed, always google for info on a program before you install it, and never be panicked into clicking on a link that suddenly pops up while on the internet. (Just disconnect or switch router off if in real panic - that gives you thinking time)

birdface 10:34 26 Oct 10

Got avg free 2011 which is everything that we need.
Maybe download and use Malwarebytes as well update it and run it once a week at least.
AVG or any Anti-virus on there own are fairly useless against Malware.

awest3 10:49 26 Oct 10

"My mum seems to of got it back to its best now"

What did she do..? to achieve this..

Al

Jwbjnwolf 16:09 26 Oct 10

What my mum done was download a program called memory wipe(no idea what it is or what it does) and it did not install correctly and I think it was trying to start up with windows so that made xp slow down to about 3 times its normal speed.
So my mum yesterday uninstalled that and xp is as fast as it first was.
And avg I have ant-virus, anti-spyware plus all the other things except firefall, and when I put it on vista as It was forever connecting to my neighbours connection
click here and the windows defender was then turned of saying avg has that.
just come in, me on linux on the net but mum downstairs cant get on?any ideas?

Jwbjnwolf 16:45 26 Oct 10

mums Just told me that something big is wrong because she said it is still extremely slow

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:49 26 Oct 10

Work through what I posted at Mon, [email protected]:58

GaT7 16:52 26 Oct 10

Have you tried a fresh reinstall of XP? Always works for me. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now