need a laptop with wifi ?

bluetit 19:09 15 Apr 05

I'm not too computer minded and i am about to purchase a laptop that i need to be able to use at various places around the world.
I've read various things talking about wifi whereby you seem to be able to pick up a broadband/internet signal ,sometimes for free from various places around the world.
Do i just need a laptop fitted with this 802.11g or will i need additional equipment/aerials ? and is it worth getting one with bluetooth and ethernet ?

Dipso 23:04 15 Apr 05

A laptop with a 802.11b/g would be sufficient. No additional equipment is required to connect to public wifi hotspots. As you say some are free but others require a paid subscription. This link is helpful at locating hotspots worldwide click here

Bluetooth tends to be used mainly for connectiong mobile devices, mobile phones etc. Ethernet tends to come as standard on laptops these days but would only be required if you intend to WIRE the laptop to a network rather than WIRELESS.

I have recently bought a Centrino laptop which has built in wireless but is also lightweight and has a good battery life, around 5 hours, which is ideal for travelling.

bluetit 11:32 16 Apr 05

Your laptop sounds interesting, what make/model is it ?

Dipso 21:49 16 Apr 05

I have an Acer 292LMI. I read about it on a laptop dedicated forum. click here I got it for £599 from my local Staples (also available at the time on-line from Office World) and think it was a great deal for the specification. Unfortunately, this was around New Year and they have since sold out on-line. I know some of the stores had a few left but this was a couple of months ago.

Brian-336451 19:04 18 Apr 05

I've just come back from a years contract working for an Asian airline.

My laptop is a Centrino and I didn't have the opportunity to use wireless at all (unless I was in Europe).

In Europe the hotspots cost a bomb.

Ergo, you can buy one with wireless (and I would) but I believe the availability is over-hyped as yet.

It will come and the price will drop, but all my connections (mainly Middle East) were Ethernet cable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…