Need to know motherboard to update memory?

Lynds 18:52 06 May 03

Do i need to know the make of motherboard to add memory stick? Done system check and it doesnt tell me the name. The local computer place says the following:- Requires M'board that supports PC2100 / DDR266 - e.g Soltek SL75DRV4 or Asus P4B533. How can i tell if mine does?

: : Radioactive Frog : : 18:59 06 May 03

well you wouldn't need to know the name of the motherboard just the type of memory it takes. but if you don't know the type of mem then the best way is to know the motherboard make.

hope this helps!!!!

Gongoozler 19:00 06 May 03

Hi Lynds. You should be able to find what your motherboard is by downloading and running either of the free utilities Belarc Advisor click here, or the more comprehensive but larger download Aida32 click here

If you know the motherboard or computer model number, you can get advice on the memory you need as well as buy the memory post free from Crucial click here

the mobo should have the manufacturers name and the model printed on it, download the manual from the manufacturers website and it will tell you what type of memory is supported.

Lynds 22:48 06 May 03

The tower was made by a family friend and i dont have a manual or know much other than that. I dont generally get any help from them. I have tried pcpitstop but i dont know what i look for. Should i look inside?

VoG™ 22:52 06 May 03

Follow Gongoozler's advice and download and run click here

It will tell you what you need to know, and more!

Lynds 23:03 06 May 03

Just done Belarc and sorry for having nil knowledge, but is it this what i need to look for? Main Circuit Board b
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 4.51 PG 11/29/99. All the others i recognise.

VoG™ 23:08 06 May 03

You should see something like this under main circuit board:

Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P2B-F REV 1.xx
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz

BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS P2B-F ACPI BIOS Revision 1012 03/03/00

If you don't then you will have to open the case. If you do please take proper precautions like earthing yourself (hang on to a radiator for example).

Lynds 23:12 06 May 03

No all i got was what i pasted above. Just BIOs no board. I will have a look inside (carefully mind) and see if i get any further. Next time i will build one myself or get a manual!

TOGGY 23:20 06 May 03

If you believe you can build your next PC, just take off the side and look, first if there are any slots to upgrade ram, if so take a stick out and take it to your supplier and ask for so like this one please.( i am not being sarcastic but it's that easy)

VoG™ 23:29 06 May 03

Also, if you look under Memory Modules you should see something like

512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' has 128 MB

Slot '1' has 128 MB

Slot '2' has 128 MB

Slot '3' has 128 MB

In my case all the slots are full. If you have empty slots, this should be indicated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…