Need to 'kick start' IE6 to get it going..

Tim1964 13:05 05 Oct 03

Even with the proxy server problems with NTL BB I am still finding it necessary to 'force' IE to open any webpages.

For example,

I click on IE on the quick launch bar.
IE opens (blank page-no homepage, no action on ZA icon and no blue bar on status bar)
Click on a link (previous page or favourite) nothing.
Wait and click on 'stop'
Click on another link (previous page or favourite) nothing.
Wait and click on 'stop'
Wait and click on 'stop'

BUT on the 5th attempt the status bar shows "opening page click here...' and the URL in the address bar changes and the pages from then on open OK.

If I close IE and open later the same game starts again.

Using win98 1st ed. and IE6
I have tried repairing IE and changing the homepage, running Adaware and Spybot still no joy.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Tim.

SEASHANTY 13:55 05 Oct 03

Install another browser and try with that. Any of the free ones. Mozilla, Opera, Netscape. Available on the free discs with PC mags or on the download site here at PCA.

Jester2K II 13:58 05 Oct 03

NTL have claimed in the past that IE6 was designed for Win 2K and XP and that its not compatible with Win98. Therefore NTL won't support WIN98 with IE6.

This is rubiish.

MS say its OK for Win98 so thats good enough for me - same goes for the dozens of (Non-NTL) clients i have that run Win98 and IE6 quite happily.

Therefore i suggest this is possibly a clash between NTL and IE6 under Win98.

Have you asked NTL??

john-232317 14:11 05 Oct 03

I have win 98 and IE 6 since it came out , no probs at all.

Tim1964 14:22 05 Oct 03

NTL just asked me to change the proxy settings but I didn't check the IE opening problem until I had hung up the phone (my ears were aching after 30mins on hold)

If I use another browser, Opera seems a popular one, will I be able to keep my favourites etc?

powerless 16:03 05 Oct 03

On the start menu, find your Internet Explorer and right click and choose properties.

Click SHORTCUT up at the top.

Next to Target you should have: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

Modify this with - nohome

So you should have: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome

Click ok.

Click the IE on the start menu and the IE should open, but the homepage will not load. NO website even.

Now click the homepage icon at the top of IE and the homepage should load.

Does it make a difference?

Tim1964 17:30 05 Oct 03

No it didn't make any diffference, sorry.

I have installed Opera and that seems OK. The homepage launches straight away and browsing to other sites is fine also.
I must admit that the ads on the free version make the navigation bar a bit "chunky" but I can live with it. <too tight to pay ;-)>

I will try IE again at a later date when NTL have hopefully spent some money ha ha.

Tim1964 17:31 05 Oct 03

Sauasage fingers!!

slowhand_1000 19:23 05 Oct 03

with IE6, NTL and W98se. My browser speed slowed to almost a crawl. As Jester2K said, the reply from NTL was that they do not support IE6 and W98. In the end I returned to IE5.5 and since then all has been ok.

I know plenty of people with IE6 and W98 so it possibly could be a conflict of NTL, IE6 and W98.

Have been too scared to have another go at IE6 :-)

Greenfingers 19:39 05 Oct 03

I have only recently re-installed W98 on a friends machine because he was having the same problems with NTL, although it was connecting it would not open the web pages.Now with Freeserve as the ISP instead of NTL everything works OK.
Therefore you can only assume that there is a problem with the NTL server.

Tim1964 20:42 05 Oct 03

This problem has only (!) been for the last couple of weeks and I have been using NTL BB for over a year, so unless NTL have suddenly stopped supporting win98 it MAY be sorted out when they get their server 'issues' fixed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…