Need HP "tattoo.img"

Wrinkly70 18:49 16 Aug 08

New motherboard fitted (identical to previous model) on a Pavilion t3729.uk, but need a file "tattoo.img" to allow use of Recovery Disks.

Eric10 18:59 16 Aug 08

click here.
See the posts by danowolf.

Wrinkly70 15:13 17 Aug 08

Eric10
Thank you for your response. I am a 73 yr old wrinkly who seems to have been misled by the repairer, who said fitting an identical MB would allow use of the Recovery disks. The computer was damaged by a lightning strike.
HP support are being less than helpful because the computer is 15 mnths old. They want me to dial an 0906 number; it would probably be cheaper to buy a retail copy of Vista.
I think from your reply that I need an HP authorised repair centre, but can't find one in Bristol.

Technotiger 15:30 17 Aug 08

Found this on another forum, dunno if it will help, but worth a read I think ...

HP Diagnostics & Recovery CD Refuse to Run
On the motherboard on these machines, there is a flash EPROM, which contains information about the machine, such as the serial number and software build. This EPROM is unique to each machine, so if the motherboard is replaced then the EPROM needs to be flashed or the Recovery CD and HP Diagnostics will refuse to work.
There is a way round this,
? When you run the Recovery CD it will crash and leave you at a DOS prompt.
? Insert a blank formatted floppy disk into the Floppy Disk Drive.
? Log onto the M: drive and type -
o COPYDISK M:\SUPPORT\TATTOO.IMG B:
This will create a bootable floppy disk to flash the EPROM. This disk will only work on the machine it was created on. When you run it, just follow the onscreen prompts (it will ask you for the Model No, Serial No, etc.).
BIOS Update Utility
Similarly there is an option to create a BIOS Update Utility in case the BIOS on the machine gets corrupted. Follow the same instructions as above, but at the M: prompt type in
COPYDISK M:\SUPPORT\BIOS.IMG B:

click here

Wrinkly70 15:41 17 Aug 08

Technotiger
Thank you for your response.
I had come across this solution but my computer does not crash, it reports "These recovery discs will not work with this PC". Also I do not have a floppy drive; I think this solution is for older HP computers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…