Need for high-spec graphics card?

Simsy 19:36 26 Sep 03

Hi chums,

I was just browsing through the site and came across another thread where mention was made of the need for a decent graphics card....

and it's got me thinking...

If there is no requirement to monitor moving images, i.e. video of any sort, or gaming, then surely, if what is on screen is stationary, (even if it is a big picture, in terms of both file size and image size), even the most basic on-board video or cheap video card is sufficient.

My understanding is that it's rapidly changing images, and rapid refresh rates on screen that demand high power graphics cards

I appreciate that onboard video may take RAM, (which may cause deprivation elsewhere), but other than this is my thinking correct?

Thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 10:06 27 Sep 03

Bump!

pinka 10:28 27 Sep 03

with onboard you lose colour depth , most only handle 24 bit , with video card you get 32 bit

Simsy 13:44 27 Sep 03

Good point.

Thanks... I'd appreciate any oter comments from anyone.

Regards,

Simsy

powerless 13:49 27 Sep 03

If you want to play the latest games, Create the next Toy story then you'll need a ££££ card.

If its just looking at pictures, DVD, then onboard will be ok. I did it five years ago so i think the onboard buisnees has moved a little on from then ;-) and with 32bit.

Simsy 17:20 27 Sep 03

I was being purely hyothetical...

I have a 16Mb card in my machine, (Matrox Millenium G400), and it's never given any cause for concern. I'm considering getting a DVD drive, primarily to watch DVD movies on. I've a 17 inch CRT monitor. Any reason to suppose this isn't sufficient?

Regards,

Simsy

Diemmess 17:33 27 Sep 03

I think you have already made a correct judgement.
I have changed the video either bcause I did not have an on-board card or the video card had gone phut.

I do a lot of jpg manipulation, but I do not run any high spec games or video editing/viewing, and this and observation of other family computers shows that really quite basic cards are sufficient.

Simsy 17:43 27 Sep 03

but I haven't yet made a judgement...

Are you suggesting that what I've got IS likely to be sufficient?

Regards,

Simsy

Diemmess 17:55 27 Sep 03

In a word - Yes.

Memory being thieved by some simple video cards is a possible small problem, but save your money until you are sure there is a downside to staying with the present setup.

Simsy 21:08 27 Sep 03

As I thought,

regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…