need help with wireless networking

LinkMan 10:31 25 Mar 05

I'm new to the whole network scene but basically i just bought a new pc and would like to connect my old one to my broadband connection. My new PC already has an inbuilt w-Lan card but a friend of mine told me i could just get a couple of RJ45 cables, 2 ethernet cards, and I could connect the two.
How can I network the two? and what components are the best? Thanks

spikeychris 11:23 25 Mar 05

If you have a wifi card in one machine it would be a waste not to use it. Just shove a wifi card in the other and get yourself a router. click here for everything you will need. You will not need anything else and you will be able to share files - printers and the net.

FelixTCat 11:55 25 Mar 05

Your new pc almost certainly has an ethernet port built in. Have a look at the details (or round the back of the pc) before buying any pci cards.

You do not say how you are connected to broadband. Is it by a USB modem? Are you on cable?

How far apart will the 2 pcs be? If they are close enough, using wired ethernet will be a better solution than wireless. It will be faster, and probably cheaper, than buying another wireless adapter and connecting wirelessly.

spikeychris 14:02 25 Mar 05

It is true that wireless networks run at a max of 54Mbps - 802.11g and wired networks an run at 100Mbps. This will be relevant if you are sharing big files, however if you are just transferring Word docs etc then wifi will more than do the job. If you just hard wire them with crossover cables you will need both machines active to share.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…