Need help with using the forum?

Forum Editor 23:42 21 Dec 03

I'm seeing a considerable increase in the number of emails from new forum users who aren't too sure about how it all works - how to post threads, what's acceptable forum etiquette, etc.

Quite naturally, many people are a little reticent about asking such questions in public, so they email me. I like to respond to every request, but sometimes it takes a while - my inbox overflows every day - so.......... I've written a beginner's guide to using the forum, including hints and tips on posting, and how to get the best out of it all. Over Christmas I'll be happy to email a copy to anyone who wants one - all you have to do is click on the little envelope next to my name in this thread, or use the 'Contact the Forum Editor' link in the blue panel at the top left-hand corner of the forum pages.

You don't need to send me a long message - just say "send forum guide", and one will be with you within a day or so. I'll use the email address that you send from unless you specify a different one in your request.

That's it - Please don't use this thread to make requests, or for any other purpose other than to refresh it to keep it near the top of the page for a few days.

Taran 00:03 22 Dec 03

It's a nice idea and perhaps something that could be included in a confirmation email when people first join the site, or by having a User Guide link in the above navigation panel ?

T

Big Elf 09:46 22 Dec 03

Bump

smegs 10:32 22 Dec 03

Bump ;_))

wee eddie 23:30 22 Dec 03

Many companies manage to set up an Automated Response to e-mails that they receive.

You could use this system to send out the Help file.

Then you would be able to do what most companies do and ignore the problem.

wee eddie 23:39 22 Dec 03

My sarcasm was not directed at you but at those companies that send out an automated response, then don't access the problem for a month or more. with the probable hope that it will have gone away by then.

A thought has just occurred. Almost brilliant!!!

When a newbie logs on for the first time and registers.

I am sure that the initial registration procedure could be altered to confirm a newbies Handle and Password by e-mail The Help File could be sent at the same time.

Forum Editor 00:21 23 Dec 03

Thanks for the suggestions, but we don't plan to send out the guide with new registrations - at least not at the moment.

I'm not keen on automated responses either - I always like to receive a reply from a human being, and I think most people are the same. From time to time we can repeat the offer of a forum guide, and that will keep the thing fresh in peoples' minds. The only problem is that if requests keep coming in at the same rate as over the past 24 hours I'll be spending the whole of Christmas sending out guides.

Perhaps a bit of an exaggeration - I'll use a mass mailer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…