need help using ethernet switch

polishdrumsticks 10:08 01 Jun 09

hi,
i need some help using a 10/100mbps ethernet switch.
basically i have a wired LAN set up at home. all connections are taken on the router downstairs and i want to connect both my pc and nintendo wii to the ethernet wall point in my room.
i bought an ethernet switch as i was told this was the thing to do. i am using straight ethernet cables and connected the switch to the ethernet wall point using the link port on the switch. when i connect the pc to the switch the light comes on on the switch but i cannot access the internet. the wii doesn't work either.
what am i doing wrong?
any help is very much appreciated!

DieSse 10:34 01 Jun 09

Try not using the link port on the switch.

The link port is usually for concatenating devices and probably needs a crossover cable when doing so.

polishdrumsticks 11:27 01 Jun 09

thanks but i have already tried that and it doesn't work either. do you think i need to get a crossover cable?

DieSse 13:57 01 Jun 09

Maybe that's the answer then.

T0SH 14:25 01 Jun 09

Most modern ethernet switches have built in support for Auto MDI/MDIX function

thereby eliminating the need for crossover cables or uplink ports

Cheers HC

logoff 23:06 01 Jun 09

Where is your room? Upstairs probably. If so you may need to install a wallplate downstairs and another upstairs connected by a crossover cable.

Cables to and from the wallplates should be normal Cat 5e types I think.

I am just about to do this myself so have looked it up!

Good luck.
V

polishdrumsticks 12:49 02 Jun 09

already done all of that as well. the connection to my room upstairs works fine, just that presently i have to unplug the wii when i want to use the pc online and vice versa.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…